Turkey Stories and Tips

Back to Istanbul

I slept well on the overnight bus with Goreme Bus Co. from Cappadocia to Istanbul. There was air-conditioning, reclining chairs, a Turkish movie, and snacks. We arrived in Istanbul in the morning and met up with our friends at the Yucelt Interyouth Hostel in Sultanahmet near the Aya Sofya. The water temperature and pressure in the showers there were a bit unpredicatable, but the hostel offered a lot of services—laundry, newspapers, magazines, movies, tours, travel service. Dorm beds were $8/person, triples and quads $9/person, $10.90/double. An all-you-can-eat breakfast was included in the price. Food isn’t great, but edible. At night, the hostel has music entertainment and can get quite loud since guests like to hang out on the terrace.

One of our favorite places to eat at in Istanbul was Karadeniz Pide ve Kebap. They had good pides which are like pizza but on pide bread. Another fun place to eat at is Cennet where they serve great crepes and play traditional music. The later at night you go, the livelier it gets. Can Restaurant was possibly the worst Turkish food I had so avoid going there. Definitely visit the Aya Sofya, Topkapi Palace and Harem and take a Bosphorous cruise over to the Asia side of Turkey. Unfortunately, we got off a stop too early and didn’t get to climb up the hill to see the fortress (the name slips my mind) where you can get a great view of Istanbul, but I guess that leaves something to do next time I go back to Istanbul!