Rothenburg Stories and Tips

The Romantic Road Bus Trip

The Romantic Road Bus Tour is easily done alone. I did this trip solo and had a good time. It was very low stress since you just sit on the bus and the bus driver takes you to your destination. At the beginning of the trip, the bus driver hands out a map of the Romantic Road route and a timetable with the bus schedule. My bus driver also served as a tour guide and narrated parts of the trip. He also supplemented what he said with videos of each Romantic Road city we passed through. I hopped on the Romantic Road bus in Munich and spent the nights in Röthenburg and Würzburg. Along the way, we made 15-minute photo/bathroom stops in Augsburg and Nördlingen as well as an hour stop in Dinkelsbühl.

In Dinkelsbühl, I wandered around the Weinmarket and climbed up St. George’s Tower for a view of the city. Unfortunately, I did not have time to visit the Museum of the 3rd Dimension—a museum dedicated to simulating acid trips—that is supposed to be pretty entertaining. There really wasn’t a whole to do in Dinkelsbühl, but if you’re not rushed, it might be worthwhile to spend the night there. If you have a car, stop there for a couple hours and let me know how the Museum of the 3rd Dimension is!

An added perk of the Romantic Road bus is that the bus driver hands out brochures and maps for each city so you don’t even have to make a trip to the Tourist Information Office!