Ste. Genevieve Stories and Tips

Shopping...Strolling...Ste. Genevieve

Ste. Genevieve's historic district is full of specialty shops, historic sights, and antique stores. We had a delightful time just strolling along the quaint street, wandering in and out of shops. Some of the shops we wandered through were a wildlife art studio, a Native American crafts/arts store complete with a flute maker, a shop that specialized in screen prints, embroidery, and afghans, a custom frame shop, and a lingerie shop (which was kinda cheap and cheesy).

Our hearts, however, were in the many small antique shops that dot the area. I found a bunch of old 1950s books in one (first editions but in awful shape). John found a small child's desk that he was bent on having. But luckily, the owner's price was firm and he refused to negotiate, which turned John off. He did get a great deal on a plant stand which he has painted black and placed the chess set his father made for him in our living room back in St. Louis. We dropped by the Ste. Genevieve Winery, but since we don't drink, we didn't sample any of their wares. My friends tell me, though, that their Chardonnay is quite delightful.

We had lunch in The Old Brick House on 3rd and Market. This building is the oldest brick building West of the Mississippi River. If memory serves me correctly, it dates from the 1730s. Inside was a hundred-year-old wood stove that was pretty cool. It was huge and took up almost a whole corner of the bar. Our lunch was good, not outstanding, but about average. We both enjoyed looking at the old photographs hanging on the walls. On the other side of the bar is more seating in amore restauranty style. They had a hot buffet that was very limited and really didn't look all that appetizing.