Mendocino Stories and Tips

New England in California

Swimming Photo, Mendocino, California

Mendocino was dubbed the New England of California and it is true. Every one knows every one, and you can bike or walk the entire town in less than an hour.

Although it is a small coastal town it is filled with much history. Many of the houses do not resemble the houses that are seen in other towns of California. You really do feel like you are in New England. Most of the coast, although sandy, is not really for swimming. The water was also still a bit cold in June. We biked around the cliffs where we saw people diving for Abalone. We talked to a few folks that had walked up the cliffs to look through their catch, and then went to the beach at the Headlands State Park. People were rowing or kayaking and surfing. I went swimming to try out my new wet suit. The water was so clear. It was a beautiful.

We also liked to bike around the town to just look at the old buildings and imagine what it would be like to live in Mendocino years ago and today. We determined that it would be a great place to live. Now I don't have to fly across the U.S. to get a tast of New England.