St. Simons Island Stories and Tips

A walk in the village of St. Simons Island

The Pier Photo, St. Simons Island, Georgia

The "village" area of St. Simons Island is picturesque and filled with great places to eat. There is a fishing pier that is free to one and all, and while we were there we saw a local fisherman catch a 40 pound drum. That was an exciting moment that occurred while my wife was temporaily out of film. It is possible to take an hour and a half trolley tour of the island for $15 that leaves from the pier at 1100 and 1300 daily. Two hundred meters to the left is a genuine lighthouse that has a small gift shop and affords one an opportunity to walk the 129 steps to the top. The view from there makes it possible to see all the way to Jeckyl Island as well as Sea Island. There is an active local theater troupe that performs six months out of the year in the nearby recreation center and a library that has a number of books about the local area. Parking is free and though the village is always busy, there is generally a spot to be found without a lot of difficulty. There are many outdoor cafes and a fine free picnic area that I would use only in the fall or early spring because of the heat. The antique stores that we visited had some nice gift merchandise, but I did not see a lot of real antiques in the "village" area.