St. Thomas Stories and Tips

Island Tour of St. Thomas

Godfrey Tour of St. Thomas Photo, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

This was my second time in St. Thomas, and I fell in love with it all over again. The port of Charlotte Amalie is beautiful, and the island is very clean. There are amazing beaches such as Sapphire and Coki and breathtaking views from the hills of the island. Shopping in St. Thomas is great, and it, of course, has its fair share of touristy shops. The people are friendly and everyone speaks English. US dollars are accepted everywhere. We were saddened that we didn’t have a longer day in this port. It was a short bus ride to town from the pier. Don’t be hassled by the taxi drivers that tell you to get on their shuttle – it’s not free! They act like they work for the cruise but they don’t. There is a free shuttle that comes by (it says free on the side of it), and the driver does not get off the shuttle to hassle visitors.

The tour with Godfrey was booked at the recommendation of Cruise Critic members. It was a wonderful informational tour for a cheap price. For only $20, you are picked up by a van at the ship, taken to downtown Charlotte Amalie to shop for 2 hours, picked up by an open air trolley, and taken to a variety of stops throughout the island (I hear the stops change based on the weather). Most of them are scenic overlooks of the port of Charlotte Amalie, with amazing picture opportunities. Our guide was very knowledgeable, and we enjoyed the tour very much. We were taken to Sapphire Beach instead of Megan’s Bay because our guide said the rain at Megan’s Bay stirred up the water. There was good snorkeling off the beach at Sapphire, and it was a wonderfully clean and safe place to spend a couple hours. You will stop at an overlook where they make the famous Banana Daiquiri, but I wouldn’t waste your money; it was expensive ($7.50) and I didn’t think it was very tasty. I highly suggest Godfrey Tours. A similar excursion through the ship was twice the price. Also, if you book Godfrey Tours by emailing them, they may not respond to confirm, but don’t worry, they will pick you up. I believe he only accepts cash on the day of the tour.