St. Thomas Stories and Tips

Parasailing

Parasailing Photo, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

I have always wanted to parasail, but after watching countless mishaps on America's Funniest Home Videos, I was a bit concerned. Well, I should have had no worries as this experience was well worth it.

After a walk off the pier in St. Thomas, we were ushered to a small dock to wait for the parasail boat to arrive. We traveled about 15 minutes until we found our ideal location. There were about 10 passengers on our boat and since this was tandem parasailing, there would be 5 trips to make. After being strapped into an interesting harness that supports your back and goes under your legs, you are clipped onto the parasail on the front of the boat. The winch is released and you start floating upward -- this experience is actually quite pleasant. After reaching an altitude of 300 feet, you stop and get to float carelessly above the water, taking in great views of the islands. It was actually not very scary and much more comfortable than being in the boat, which tended to rock. You enjoy this view for about 5-8 minutes and then return to Mother Earth.