Lauterbrunnen Stories and Tips

Our hike to the waterfall (in Lauterbrunnen)

Me Photo, Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland

My friend Matt and I were in Interlaken for two days, and we didn't have the money to try out any of the adventure sports. So instead we whipped out our map and brochure of points of interest that we picked up at the train station and decided to see where we could hike to. On the brochure, there was a picture of a very beautiful waterfall near Lauterbrunnen, so we figured we would hike up to the waterfall and back in the afternoon.

The hike began well, we walked along a paved path through a field and then along a river (passing several kayakers along the way) and through a quaint Swiss town that looked like it was rather undiscovered by tourists. However, pretty soon we began to wonder when we were going to get to the waterfall. I hadn't brought my hiking boots, just some cheap tennis shoes I intended to throw away before I headed home. The road just kept going and going, and we weren't coming to anything close to a waterfall. Finally, after about 13 miles, we came to Lauterbrunnen, and the disappointing waterfall. The waterfall was just slightly above a drizzle due to the summer heat and lack of recent rain. After a short rest at a local cafe, (where we discovered we had walked 13 miles to get to Lauterbrunnen - there was no scale on our map) we mustered all our strength to face the 13 miles BACK to Interlaken. By the time we got back to our hostel that night my feet had never felt so sore in my life. Even the next morning I had to drag my feet out of bed and will them to walk to the train station so we could move on to the next city.

In retrospect, we should have shelled out the $10 or so and caught the train up to Lauterbrunnen, but hindsight is always 20/20 as they say. To anyone else out there who wants to see Lauterbrunnen, do your feet a favor at the very least rent a bike! Also, just FYI, the waterfall is much more spectacular in the spring with all the mountain snow runoff.