on May 5, 2011
Palazzo Vecchio - the most important public building in Florence and a unique example of secular architecture of the Middle Ages. He is a strong fortress, the height of his guard tower reaches 94 meters (the tallest tower in the city). Construction of the Palazzo Vecchio lasted from 1284 to 1341 years. Author of the project is considered to be a famous architect Arnoldo da Cambio. Chimes in the tower of Palazzo Veko, as it should be - fine. Noon! Government in ancient times consisted of Gonfalopera equity and 24 priors, are elected for two months. 6 ° All these days, they were obliged to sit bezvylazno in his palace (where they can be conveniently placed, well-fed and even entertained), collected continuously sprawling tips and make wise decisions. In extreme cases, priority ringing the bell and summoned to the area people - to vote (this is called a "parliament"). And if a vote of someone he had put to death, then sent the victim to wait for execution in the closet right above the meeting room - in a tower under the bell. There, in particular, has had time to sit Cosimo, the founder of the dynasty of the Medici, and there spent his last days of Savonarola. Emblems of the twenty major departments in the facade. In the Palazzo Vecchio della Signoria was the residence (Government of the Republic), then the Dukes of the Medici, and later met in the palace of the lower house of parliament of a united Italy. Now here is the mayor's office, most given museum. When the Medici role of national institutions is gradually reduced to zero, and Cosimo I, came to power, abolished them altogether, moved into the Palazzo della Signoria, and he hired Vasari to redo the interiors. However, even in the remodeled interior of the latter-day ruler of Florence seemed to closely, so that he and his wife bought a palace poprostornee - Palazzo Pitti - and the old gave his son Francesco. The benefit of just profitable married the daughter of the Austrian emperor, in which case even rebuilt the yard: he painted views of the major cities of the Habsburg, izrisovali arabesque ceilings and raised the middle of the fountain Verrocchio - a winged genius (for some reason the fish). If you tear off a sight from the Palazzo Vecchio and look left, look appear sculpture "Judith with the head of Holofernes" of Donatello. The fate of sculpture has developed interesting - it was created for the Medici palace, located in Largo (the modern name of the street - Cavour), but the monarchy was replaced by a republic, the palace was subjected to looting, and the masterpieces found in the area. Another is located to the left of the lion with a flower iris on board - this is a statue of "Mardzokko", the authorship of which is also owned by Donatello. Being an ancient Florentine emblem, this composition, if necessary, could well pass for a symbol of urban liberties.
©Travelocity.com LP 2000-2009