on December 19, 2010
This plaza has been at the center of every major political event in Argentine history, from Presidential proclamations, to Evita addressing the masses, to protests, to the mournful demonstrations by the "Mothers of the Disappeared". An Obilisk stands tall in the center of the plaza commemorating independence in 1810. At one end, stands the Casa Rosada or Pink Palace. Just in front of the palace in the plaza is a sculpture of a man on horseback carrying a flag. This is the Generalismo that designed the Argentine flag. Also bordering the square are the Cabildo (blindingly white town hall), & the Catedral Metropolitana. The Avenue de Mayo branches off from the plaza.
©Travelocity.com LP 2000-2009