There are six different tours available. The prices and times are current up to April 30, 2004. It's best to call ahead to check if there have been any changes to the schedule.
1. Panorama Tour (1 hour). Every day, 9:15am-4:15pm. $17.50 adults, $15 seniors (65+) / students, $5 children (4-12). This tour shows Wright's home.
2. Insights Tour (90 minutes). Every day, 9am-4pm. $22 adults, $18 seniors/students, $10 children. This tour shows Wright's home, but spends extra time in his living room.
3. Behind the Scenes Tour (3 hours). Wednesdays at 9am only. $45 per person. Reservations requested. This tour shows his home with afternoon tea in his dining room. You also have time to talk to the Taliesin West associates and take a walk to the Sun Cottage.
4. Desert Walk (90 minutes). Every day, 11:15am, weather permitting. $20 per person. May also be combined: Desert Walk + Panorama, $34; or Desert Walk + Insights, $38. Reservations requested. This tour explores the trails that inspired Wright.
5. Apprentice "Shelter" Tour (2 hours). Saturdays at 1:15pm. $30 per person. Reservations requested. This tour takes you to the desert shelters that first-year architecture students live in.
6. Night Lights on the Desert Tour (2 hours). Fridays at 6:30pm, 7pm, and 7:30pm. $25 per person. Reservations requested. This tour shows Wright's house at night. It includes everything from the Insights Tour plus refreshments.
My friend and I took the Insights Tour, which is approximately 90 minutes, but lasted 2 hours for our tour. It has everything that is included from the Panorama Tour, but also spends a great deal of time in Wright's living room. You get to sit in his furniture, which is quite expensive. The origami chairs alone cost $4,000 each.
I spent a lot of time taking pictures of his rooms and artwork. I probably irritated the tour guide who was trying to stay on schedule. If I had more film and time, I would take close up photos of the sculptures in the sculpture garden.
I enjoyed learning about Frank Lloyd Wright and his philosophy on architecture. I even got a chance to play his piano in the Cabaret Theater! I will be back again to take one of the other tours. I intend to take them all eventually! Click here to visit the web site.