London Journals

London, the one I never got over.

A June 2000 trip to London by Sheila

Quote: London offers everyone something, even someone who grew up there.

London, the one I never got over.

Frequent the free houses, indeedy the pubs are fun! Visit the galleries, not just the national and the tate, but go Whitechapel, Delfina and the Chisenhale,(to name a few, which yes are well known) and see what is going on in London now.Quick Tips: Don't just stick to the West End, the East end has a lot to offer (other than cockney, and jellied eels), and it can be a lot cheaper to eat out, and don't even start with me about bad british cooking, I will never believe it!Best Way To Get Around: Of course the tube (underground) is the most convenient way to get around (if you don't mind the heat, the stench and rubbing against any old tom, dick or harry) , all you have to do is follow ...Read More

City Tandoori

This place provides Indian fare that satisfies those cravings. The naan was unbelieveably good, and the dal was just right (I've been looking for good dal since leaving Britain, and it is always too runny, or the lentils are hard, no fear at city tandoori though, the dal is GOOD). I enjoy meat, and both the chicken and lamb were excellent (I went twice with friends, so i managed to sample lots). The vegetarian options are good also, for those of you who fear the sumptuous taste of meat. (more for me)

City Tandoori
1b Southwark Street
London, England SE1 1RQ

Bella Pasta

Restaurant | "Bella Pasta."

We had been out until 4am the night before, drinking ourselves stupid with beer after beer after beer (or rum & coke after jack & coke after wine spritzer - obviously not me)....the point being, we were starving, hung over, and a greasy fry up should have been more than adequate, but this bella pasta was simply brutta! Numero Uno: It is a scorcher of a day and we are not allowed to sit outside, fine we are starving, and quite frankly still drunk. Due: There are noisy kids inside who are allowed to shriek and sing, of course most unappreciated by the hung over. 3: We order and wait, and wait and wait and wait. We are not only starving but trying to meet someone on time across the city. 4: And ...Read More

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on August 9, 2000

Bella Pasta
Hays Galleria, London Bridge
London, England

Translation of British Isles Cuisine: Booze (thus explaining spending over 40 dollars easily. Especially if you are buying rounds, which inevitably happens.) Mind you, I was pretty lucky the night I happened across the grass-covered floor of the Arms, as the rounds method worked in my favour, and I spent very little, but consumed alot. Great party crowd, drinking in the streets, a good Saturday night out!

The Bricklayer's Arms
63 Charlotte Road
London, England EC2A 3PE
(020) 7739 5245

Marks & Spencer

Attraction | "Marks & Spencer"

To me Marks and Sparks is a British Institution, and should be visited for its cultural value as well as its food halls and sensible underwear. I was devastated when M&S closed its Canadian stores last year (1999), I felt completely at a loss for certain underwear needs (thank god for Victoria's Secret Catalogues) Anyhoo, M&S is becoming a tad more fashionable, while still remaining conservatively classic, and the food it offers is worth every penny, value for money. Take home some M&S food if you don't want to go out for food, it also has the alcohol supply, and desserts, try the tiramisu. If taking a long train journey, take some M&S food....a lifesaver.

Marks & Spencer
458 Oxford Street
London, England W1N 0AP
+44 20 7935 7954

The London Eye

Attraction | "The Millennium Wheel"

If you have seven pound fifty, and time to wait (or the foresight to book a week ahead) get on the wheel. It is fairly reasonable for the 40 or so minutes you circle viewing the Thames, Westminster and a great view of London. Apparently there is a reason this is the only one of the millennium projects that is paying off for Tony Blair.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 9, 2000

The London Eye
South Bank of the River Thames
London, England SE1 9TA
+44 (870) 500 0600

FT Dzign

If you have a lot of money, and good taste, this is the place for you. Beautiful chairs,lamps and armoires....Young London artists are exhibited, one of which was an abstract painter, and the other a portrait artist. The people running this place have a very good eye. Worth visiting just for the art on sale.

FT Dzign