La Paz Journals

Summer in La Paz

A July 2000 trip to La Paz by Panchita

Quote: I've been curious about La Paz for some time. I like Baja, but places like Cabo San Lucas have become a bit too touristy, so when my friends said "let's go check it out" I was ready!

Summer in La Paz

LaPaz is not a tourist town, but a booming, rather affluent city of 170,000. It is on the inside of the Baja penninsula about 2 hour's drive from Cabo. We stayed at La Posada de Engelbert - a quaint, small hotel with great 2-room Casita suites, a good little restaurant and nice pool area and a killer view of the sunset. It was hot, but a good breeze blows across from the Pacific so it was perfect. The malacon is a little touristy, but not enough to ruin the flavor of the city. History is interesting - lots of spanish-colonial flavor and a beautiful cathedral. Tacalote beach is beautiful with isla esprito off the coast. We went snorkeling with the sea lions - what fun!Quick Tips:...Read More

Hacienda del Cortez/La Posada de Engelbert

Hotel | "La Posada de Engelbert"

Because there were 3 of us, we decided to stay in a suite. The Casita Suites w/patio were a nice surprise. When you unlock the door you are in an enclosed courtyard. There are french doors into each of the two rooms, one a living room w/fireplace, the other two double beds. The bathroom is huge and completely tiled. Furnishings were a little funky, but we found out that Lucy and Desi stayed in our Casita, and that it was a favorite of the part-owner, Engelbert Humperdink, when he came to town. Bing Crosby stayed in the other half (ajoined by a common small courtyard), and John Wayne named his (separate building) after his daughter! This used to be a happening place! The smaller jr. suites are...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 7, 2000

Hacienda del Cortez/La Posada de Engelbert

Los Arcos Hotel

Los Arcos Hotel - breakfast was good, dinner was not very good. We had seafood, and it was just okay with the seafood relanos being downright gross. Service was somewhat slow, but there was a large party in the courtyard. I would only recommend breakfast at this restaurant.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on August 7, 2000

Los Arcos Hotel
Downtown
+52 (435) 627-0503

Bouganvilla's

Very nice restaurant, seating both inside and outside on end of pier. Good food - stuff pepper appetizer was great. Fish was excellent, but served whole with head and bones. Great deserts!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 7, 2000

Bouganvilla's
Malacon at the End of the Pier

Senor Frog's

Attraction | "Senor Frogs"

Senor Frogs is not someplace I usually go to when in Mexico because I like to avoid the tourist crowd. However, it was the 4th of July and my friends thought there might be something special going on so off we went. Here's where it gets funny - the place was hopping with Mexican college students (La Paz is, after all, a college town)! We were the only Americans there, and we weren't exactly mingled with. The music is loud, latin-disco-funk and it was really crowded. Not what I was expecting, thank god, and kind of fun from a people-watching standpoint, but I probably wouldn't go back.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on August 7, 2000