New York Journals

Weekend holiday in New York City

A March 2002 trip to New York by Catherine J.

Quote: Read on to learn about a great hotel my daughter and I stayed at in New York City this March. My thirteen-year-old was wowed by this experience.

Weekend holiday in New York City

I took my three daughters to New York City for a long weekend over St. Patrick's Day this year. The best part of the stay was leaving the 5 and 8 year olds in Staten Island with my mother-in-law and venturing into the city with my 13-year-old. We had a great New York City experience. We ate lunch in Chinatown at our favorite restaurant--Wo Hop--great Won Ton soup!, shopped at Century 21, viewed the World Trade Center site, went to see an exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art about Artemesia and her father, went to see Frank Langella and Alan Bates in the play Fortune's Fool, ate fabulous pizza on the street at Teatro Pizza on 44th Street, just west of Broadway, next to Carmine's. We saw group...Read More

Wo Hop

If you are looking for an excellent spot in Chinatown for great food at a great price, go where the locals go! Try Wo Hop, on Mott Street. It is a basement restaurant that can have a bit of a line at peak times, but try to beat the rush by going early or late. The won ton soup is worth flying to New York City to taste! The steamed dumplings are great, and we enjoyed our pork and chicken dishes too.

This is really authentic food at give away prices! We never go to New York City without going to Wo Hop!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 27, 2002

Wo Hop
17 Mott Street
New York, New York 10013

Teatro Pizza

Do you want some of the best pizza we pizza lovers have ever had? Go to Teatro Pizza on 44th Street, just West of Broadway. My daughter and I stopped after a play and got some outstanding artichoke and cheese pizza. We liked it so much that we went back the next day for lunch and got pizza again--this time with eggplant, artichokes again, cheese, pepperoni, and a peppers with ricotta cheese that was delicious. We all passed the slices around and ooed and ahhd at how great the pizza was. At a few dollars a slice we couldn't have done better for a meal ANYWHERE!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 27, 2002

Teatro Pizza
44th Street
New York, New York

Catherine J.--Trip to New York City

Story/Tip

What a better way to satisfy the travel bug than a trip to our own New York City. Flights to New York are inexpensive, and there is so much to do in the city. Having grown up in small town Wisconsin, I moved to New York City in 1983 and lived there until I married and started having children. Now my husband, a native of Staten Island, and I return to New York City often to see family and enjoy the great diversity and culture of New York. During my most recent trip to New York I took my thirteen-year-old daughter into the city for a stay at the Hotel Royalton. As we walked West on 44th Street from Times Square in search of our hotel for the evening, we walked right past the very quiet...Read More