Frauenkirche (Dom zu Unserer Lieben Frau or Church
of Our Lady) is Munich’s trademark and located close to the Marienplatz in the
pedestrian zone. The two imposing oxidized copper onion-shaped domes atop the two
98-meter-high spires can be seen from many parts of the city, and its eight bells
have a wonderful ring.
The church was constructed from 1468 to 1488 of simple
fairly monotonous red brick in a late Gothic style. It was extensively damaged
during the Second World War, but the two towers are original. The building is 109m long, 41m wide, and the roof 55m high.
On the whole, this church doesn’t rank with the famous
Cologne Cathedral, Notre Dame in Paris, St Paul’s...Read More