The Rocks is a 6 block square neighborhood, west of the harbor, featuring specialty shops, art galleries, antiques and museums.
This is where the first buildings of the penal colony, named after one Lord Sydney, hung onto the rocks at the waters edge. As the Colony grew, so did disease and illness. Look at a map to see "Nurses Walk" once located on hospital grounds. When Bubonic plague hit in early 1900, many of the old buildings were destroyed in an effort to clean up. The oldest building today is the 1816 Cadman's Cottage in-between George St and the Circular Quay West.
The information center located at 106 Goerge St. has a nifty walking map (free) that is easy to read. The ladi...Read More