Freeport Journals

We Be Jammin' in Freeport, The Bahamas

A July 2000 trip to Freeport by Christian

Its Big and Yellow! Photo, Freeport, Bahamas More Photos
Quote: From the time you land on the Bahamas' soil, the natives see American dollars coming to shore.

We Be Jammin' in Freeport, The Bahamas

Freeport offers beautiful beaches and the color of the water is the most vibrant aqua. The beach offers plenty of water activities including parasailing, jet skiing and a banana boat ride to name just a few. Poolside steel drum bands echo all over the island. Around every corner someone is offering the islands' native drink, the 'Bahama Mama'. I had mine in a coconut and another in an actual pineapple. But there is a down side to this island, it is filled with scams. Make sure to take control and don't be afraid to ask questions. Quick Tips: Always ask a dollar amount per person before entering any taxi cab. Choose a resort that offers plenty of amenities so that you can stay clos...Read More
The Lucayan Reef Village Photo, Freeport, Bahamas
The Lucayan Resort was probably my best choice for my short weekend getaway. The resort offers tropical rooms, numerous restaraunts, a club for dancing, pools and the resort offers its own 7 acre beach. There are also plenty of water activities to do. Every evening in the main restaraunt there is an island band. Across the street from the resort is the Market Place for shopping and dining. The resorts best attribute is that it is centrally located to many amenities.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 1, 2000

The Lucayan Reef Village
Royal Palm Way
Freeport, Bahamas
1-800-582-2926

Sugar Mill Outdoor Bar

Restaurant | "The Sugar Mill Outdoor Bar"

The only reason I must mention the Sugar Mill Bar, it has the BEST pina coladas that I have ever had... And when you are missing home, they offer a great American burger. This restaraunt sits poolside.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 1, 2000

Sugar Mill Outdoor Bar
Port Lucaya Resort & Yacht Club
Freeport, Bahamas

Reef Tours

Attraction | "Reef Tours LTD"

Reef Tours Photo, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas
I am the biggest chicken when it comes to activities involving heights. But parasailing was an easy adventure to me. My 8 year old son took on this challenge with me. The crew buckles you up and before you can ask questions, you are in the air. I now know the true meaning of the word 'freedom'. What a rush! My son and I sang the theme song of the James Bond movies as we were flying over the ocean's water. Our feet were dangling hundreds of feet in the air as we were waving to the boats below. We had a safe landing back onto the wooden dock located a short distance from the shore. We never once touched the water. This adventure was an event of a life time...Take the plunge!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 1, 2000

Reef Tours
Lucaya Marketplace
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island

Banana Boat Ride

Story/Tip

It's Big and Yellow! Photo, Freeport, Bahamas
On the beach many tour groups offer the banana boat ride. It is a giant yellow banana large enough to pull 10 people. Straddle this banana, hold on and enjoy the ride. A boat will tug you all over the ocean as the water splatters in your face. This ride is similar to a wave runner but it offers some humor. My suggestion is to have at least one Bahama Mama and grab a few friends...