Ireland Journals

Spirited Isles Spree

An October 2001 trip to Ireland by jhannigan

Quote: We sought/found, hunted and were haunted by mists, mysteries, magic. Ireland--isle of legend and myth: Cu Chulainn, Druids & Tuathau De Danaan, who still reside in faerie mounds--abounds with castles, strong spirits, old ruins-traditional homes of ghosts, accursed, ancient beings. We saw but half this trip.

Spirited Isles Spree

We saw luminous will-o-the-wisps (aka faery fox fire), bluish lights near the marshes around Limerick & Shannonside. While these lights have led some to their doom, we considered them a welcome sign. They led us right to Waterhole #1--Durty Nelly's, near Bunratty Castle, reputed to be a place where unspeakable acts were practiced--original castle was burned by a mad widow. The dungeon was nasty, weapons sharp, and I felt a chill at the nape of my neck on the winding stairwell; this convinced us that we needed more spirits, so it was on to Knappogue Castle for medieval feast. No knocker on castke door because 3 knocks by unseen hand heralds a death; that's bad for business. Original home of MacNamara C...Read More

Kilkenny Castle

Hidden stairwells & secret passageways abound at Kilkenny Castle, built by Strongbow. Its most famous resident was reputed witch Alice Kytler, a woman with nearly as many husbands as me, though it seems death, not divorce was her style. Kilkenny couldn't hold her - she escaped through a secret passage to England. Meanwhile, someone had to burn, so her maidservant Petronia ended up as a scapegoat. The castle maintained the Butler's in fine style. It's reputed that Margaret Mitchell linked her character Rhett with this family's fortunes.

Kilkenny Castle
The Parade
Kilkenny, Ireland
+353 56 21450

Scurrying through London's streets and soaring in the Eye ride, I felt a sense of purpose, though I was merely a water bug on the surface of the lively, green River Thames, in comparison. We lunched at The Sherlock Holmes Pub in London, & I was reminded of Doyle's novel, A Study in Scarlet, where Watson met his boss after being shot during the 2nd Afghan war (Battle of Maiwand). Earlier, atop an open doubledecker bus, we'd watched Muslims demonstrating in Trafalgar Square-so much passion. I was able to meet and dine with famed author Colin Wilson in Cornwall, who at 70, and having written over 150 works, is Cornwall's most enduring treasure. Cornwall is a place so wildly beautiful ...Read More

Blarney Castle/Blarney Stone

Attraction | "Blarney Castle, Cliffs of Moher"

It's Blarney you speak after visiting famed 15thc Cork castle, a McCarthy Clan stronghold. T'was Lizabeth I who first told Lord Blarney he was "full of it," & t'was a much needed breath of fresh air we experienced at Cliffs of Mohar, where 700 foot seaweed stained sandstone cliffs rise above crashing waves. O'Brien's Tower and Hags Head are nearby, as is famous golf course InnisAdare. They host a yearly "Blarney Cup" Open. "Just keep mine filled" I kept telling them, and they obliged most charmingly!

Blarney Castle/Blarney Stone