Bali Journals

Kuta, Bali

A travel journal to Bali by Marianne

The Paddy Fields Photo, Bali, Indonesia More Photos
Quote: Kuta, Bali not to be confused with Kuta, Lombok is a bustling place. It is visited by many tourists, many Australians who come here to enjoy 'cheap' sun.

Kuta, Bali

Beautiful beaches and above all cheap.

www.atlasgeo.ch/flags/animations/Indonesie.gif

It is a very good place to start your Indonesian travels. It it's a place to acclimatise. It is a place which is not all that different from other tourist destinations. Once you have seen the Indonesian way of life I would advise you to visit other places, where fewer tourists come.

Kuta is very close to the international airport. Take a taxi to your hotel an be prepared to pay too much. I consider this as my private contribution to the third world.

Jamu Lady

Nyonya Meneer. Meneer is a Dutch word and means gentleman. Nyonya is Bahasa Indonesia and means Mrs. So Mrs. Gentleman. I was determined to find out what Nyonya meneer is.I soon found out that Nyonya meneer is a factory which produces ‘jamu’. Jamu is a herb drink which can cure minor ailments. It consist mainly of vegetable substances supplemented with dried ingredients. Approximately 150 different plants are may be used - everything from eucalyptus oil, tamarind, turmeric, to acacia and ginger. Spices and sweeteners such as cinnamon, fennel, mint and palm sugar are often added for flavour, as the mixtures can be bitter. So now you know! ’Jamu’ is used as a cure for minor ailme...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 11, 2002

Jamu Lady
Street Vendor

Street Vendors

"Excuse me. You wanna buy a watch?"I hesitate"I give you good price."He opens up a big box full of watches. "No, thank you, Alex". "How you know my name????" Not so difficult as it is written inside his box. "You now buy a watch?""No, thank you, not now.""Later?""Perhaps".Next time he'll see me he'll remind me of my "maybe" promise.In the end I bought two watches, they never worked properly, I didn't mind. I made him happy and whenever he saw me again, he greeted me as his best friend. It is easy to make people happy with only a small amount of western money.It's be...Read More

Street Vendors
In all streets in central Kuta

The Paddy Fields

Attraction | "Enjoy yourself and above all relax"

The Paddy Fields Photo, Bali, Indonesia
If you've recently been stressed by the relentless pace of life in the developed world, just look at the photos of the rice paddies. Even better go the Indonesia and and see them for yourselves.

If this is your first time visit to a third world country you may be a bit apprehensive. The Balinese look different from your friends, they react differently, but like you they have a family, have friends.

The pace of life in Bali is much slower than in most western countries and people take time to sit around and chat and just enjoy each other. I began to wonder why places like this are seen as backward or under-developed. They are simply different!

Sacred Monkey Forest

Attraction | "Monkey Forest Sanctuary, Ubud"

Sacred Monkey Forest Photo, Ubud, Indonesia
If you have never seen monkeys at close range you should go to Ubud, to the Monkey Forest Sanctuary. The monkeys come together in a small forest area adjoining the temple Pura Dalem Agung. The monkeys are long tailed Macacaqua monkeys. Although the monkey population varies, it consist of more than 150 monkeys. The monkey is important in Balinese culture and you find it featured in the Kecak Dance and the Ramayana Epic. You should be beware of these monkeys. They may seem tame at times, they are nevertheless wild animals and at times react accordingly. I concentrated on taking a photo of one of them, at the same time another monkey tried to catch the dangling stra...Read More

Sacred Monkey Forest