Paris Journals

Art Historian's Paris

A November 2000 trip to Paris by indigirl

Le Home Latin Photo, Paris, France More Photos
Quote: Ah... Paris. The city of lights. The city I love. Thanksgiving week in Paris was magical.

Art Historian's Paris

Eiffel Tower Park Photo, Paris, France
I walked my legs off just looking at the architecture and the buildings. Of course, the Louvre and the d'Orsay are not to be missed. (The d'Orsay even convinced me to appreciate Impressionism!).

Crepes from street vendors make a great quick meal and are yummy! Also, look for takeout sushi in the Latin Quarter.

It's the Metro all the way. Easy to use, safe and efficient, it's the only way to get around if it's too far to walk!

Le Home Latin

Hotel | "Hotel Le Home Latin"

Le Home Latin Photo, Paris, France
My room was small, but clean, and had a beautiful casement window overlooking the quiet rue du Sommerard. The staff was helpful and quiet, and the location was perfect; a stone's throw from the Seine. The bathroom included a nice shower and toilet, plus a well-lit vanity/sink area. Some cable TV channels were available in each room, and phone service was available from your room for a small deposit. The only downside was the bland furnishings and lack of a personal safe in the room. FOr $60/night, a safe should be available. I compensated by chaining my locked suitcase to an immobile desk and by carrying my valuables with me everywhere. My room was on the 3rd floor and a small but reliabl...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on December 20, 2001

Le Home Latin
15-17 rue du Sommerard
Paris, France
01-43-26-25-21

Chartres Cathedral/Cathedral of Our Lady of Chartres

Attraction | "Chartres Cathedral"

An hours' train ride outside Paris, Chartres is a lovely little town with a fabulous Gothic cathedral.

One of the first examples of Gothic architecture outside Paris, Chartres is a magnificantly preserved look into medieval France.

Be sure to visit the small garden just behind the cathedral for a marvelous look over the countryside and the village.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on December 28, 2001

Chartres Cathedral/Cathedral of Our Lady of Chartres
Cathedral of Our Lady of Chartres
Chartres, France

Maison de Victor Hugo

Attraction | "Maison Victor Hugo"

I was slightly disappointed in this museum... I expected more highlighting of Hugo's writings. As a big fan of Les Miserables, I was hoping to see more linkages with that. Still, the rooms were fascinating and very well preserved. A definite highlight was being able to view Hugo's own sketches and handwritten notes.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on December 28, 2001