Davie Journals

Ex-Local's Guide to Davie, Florida

An August 2001 trip to Davie by cmccool

Quote: I grew up in Northwest Dade county and still have family members living in Dade and Broward counties. So, I visit the area often. Check out my viewpoints on the sites.

Ex-Local's Guide to Davie, Florida

Yee-Haw!!! Davie is cowpoke central in South Florida. Visit a ranch, farm, or rodeo. Just driving or walking on the main streets (Davie Road and Orange Drive) is a welcome change from the rest of the area. Get up and close with professional athletes at the Miami Dolphins' practices at NOVA University. Davie is in western Broward county and is a gateway to the Everglades. Common activites would have to include golfing and swimming pools, too.

Driving, especially in the summer. You better have the A/C cranked, too. Water taxi service between sites in Ft. Lauderdale is nice.

Cedar Key Apartments

Hotel

I found Cedar Key through a corporate apartment rental agency. What a nice find. For the price of a hotel room (or less), I got a 2 bedroom, fully stocked (dishes, linens, cable) apartment. The complex has a gorgeous pool area with BBQ, fitness area, and much more. It is located just north of BCC (Broward Community College) and many medical students live there. It is a short walk to the Miami Dolphins training site and it is easy to catch a practice. The location is super; on University (a main street) about a mile south of I-595. Short drive to I-95, I-75, or the Florida Turnpike. If you do not plan to stay ocean front, then consider Cedar Key or one of their sister properties. The parent agency can ...Read More

Cedar Key Apartments
2876 South University Drive
Davie, Florida 33328

This is a great local's restaurant with a sport's theme. Lots of Dolphin's memorabilia (hey, Davie is the home of Earl Morrall). Food is scrumptous and fresh. Lots of local catch seafood (conch fritters are excellent) and flavorful other dishes too. Good spicy selections. Nice bar area. As with most other suburb restaurants, it gets packed on weekend evenings, so plan accordingly. Deck seating is nice most of the year; when it is not too hot.

Quarterdeck Seafood Bar & Neighborhood GRLL Crprte
3155 S University Drive

Sonny's BBQ Shorty's Bar-B-Que

Restaurant | "Sonny's BBQ"

I was concerned when I saw fire engines and emergency personnel parked around Sonny's the first afternoon of my latest visit. When I saw more fire engines (the same?) the next day, it dawned on my thick skull that they were EATING at Sonny's, not responding to emergency. OK, when I saw them there the third day I promised myself to have lunch there the following day. Yup, good stuff. Killer, meat falling off the bone, ribs. Juicy pulled pork. Decent kid's burgers. Lots of fried stuff--fries, onion rings, okra. Had them all and love them all. If you get lucky and show up on a day with the lunch special being baby back ribs, count your blessings and put away the menu. Oh yeah, Sonny's is a chain wi...Read More

Sonny's BBQ Shorty's Bar-B-Que
5989 S University Dr

Sawgrass Mills Mall

Attraction | "Sawgrass Mills"

The "Alligator Mall" is Florida's second most visited attraction (after Disney). Go figure. Buses pull up to this huge outlet mall all the time. I believe the mall, shaped like an alligator, is a mile long. It's worth a visit and I find myself doing so every time I am in the area. I hardly ever buy anything, however, except for food. The Oasis is the newest portion of the mall, featuring Legal Seafoods, Cheesecake Factory, and other restaurants. The Oasis also has a Ron Jon's outlet, although not as nice as the Cocoa Beach locale. The muffin shop in the eastern food court (Hurricane, I think) sells mini-muffins that the kids (and big people) love.

Sawgrass Mills Mall
12801 W Sunrise Blvd Sunrise
Sunrise, Florida 33323

The Seminole Indian Village borders Hollywood and Davie. A great cultural stop to see what authentic life was (and is) to this indigenous group. Most visitors, I believe, are more apt to visit the adjacent bingo hall (huge) or cigarette sale stations on the reservation. Whatever rocks your boat...

Seminole Indian Village
5845 South State Road 7 (441)
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33314

Brian Piccolo Park, Broward County, Florida

Attraction | "Brian Piccolo Park"

See above descriptions. Lots of tennis leagues every morning. Go past the velodrome for remote fishing canal. Some people do. There is actually some wildlife in the park. It is so close to the Everglades. I have seen owls, egrets, ibis, and other birds during morning runs. Snakes are in all canals, so there are probably some back there. This is a great park!

Brian Piccolo Park, Broward County, Florida
9501 Sheridan Street
Cooper City, Florida 33024

Tree Tops Park

Nice, big park with multi-playground stations, picnic areas, sand volleyball courts. My kids like to play pretend beach on the sand courts. Lots of room for big kids to roam.

Tree Tops Park