New Mexico Journals

Shopping and History in Northwestern New Mexico

A May 2000 trip to New Mexico by Amy Travels

Quote: On May 23, 2000, my husband and I drove from Petrified Forest to Gallup, where we went shopping. Then, we continued on to Albuquerque where we toured Old Town, went shopping, and ate dinner. Next, we drove to Santa Fe, where we went sightseeing before heading to Mesa Verde.

Shopping and History in Northwestern New Mexico

My favorite part of touring Northwestern New Mexico was touring Santa Fe. I especially enjoyed the Loretto Chapel, The Palace of the Governors, and the San Miguel Mission. During our stay in Santa Fe, my husband and I discovered that we were about to become parents! So, I would say that was the most memorable part of my whole vacation through the southwestern United States. This is part of a series of journals based on my vacation through the southwest in May 2000. (See my journals about Las Vegas, Flagstaff, Arizona, Moab, and Utah.) I started writing this journal last December, but after my daughter was born earlier this year, I never got around to finishing i...Read More

Motel 6

Hotel | "Santa Fe Travel Lodge"

The Santa Fe Travel Lodge is located on Cerillos Road and is approximately ten minutes from the heart of Santa Fe. The rooms were very clean and well appointed. The rooms and lobby were decorated in Southwestern style. Our rate also included continental breakfast.

Motel 6
646 CERRILLOS
505 982-3551

Upper Crust Pizza

Upper Crust Pizza is popular with the locals. It features patio dining, which we enjoyed since it was a beautiful day. We also enjoyed the food. As its name implies, Upper Crust Pizza specializes in pizza, salads, subs, and calzones. It is conveniently located across from San Miguel Mission. We didn’t have to wait long for a table on the day we were there. However, I imagine the place can get crowded due to the state capitol building being a few blocks away.

Upper Crust Pizza
329 Old Santa Fe Trail

Little Anita’s

Little Anita’s is a casual restaurant/bar located within a couple of blocks of Old Town. It features a nice Southwestern atmosphere. The menu included sandwiches with a New Mexican twist and New Mexican Dishes. The food was reasonable as well as very good. The service was good as well. We decided on Little Anita’s because it was recommended by the locals we talked to.

Little Anita’s
2105 Mountain Road, North West
Albuquerque 87104

Begun in 1869, St. Francis Cathedral is designed in the Romanesque style of France. Stained glass was brought over from France and stonecutters from Italy. There is no charge to visit the church. There is also a beautiful statue of Saint Francis on the grounds.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on November 6, 2001

Saint Francis Cathedral
131 Cathedral Place

Old Town

Attraction | "Old Town Albuquerque, New Mexico"

Old Town is the heart of Albuquerque’s heritage. The first families settled here in 1706. Albuquerque was a colonial farming village and military outpost at that time. The village formed in the traditional Spanish pattern of a central plaza surrounded by the church, government buildings, and homes. In 1880, the railroad came to Albuquerque, a few miles east of Old Town. The area around the depot called "New Town" (now downtown) boomed quickly into Albuquerque’s commercial center. Today, Old Town contains many shops and art galleries. My husband and I enjoyed walking around the plaza, admiring the architecture. We picked up a free self-guided walking tour brochure at the visitor...Read More

Old Town
303 Romero Northwest
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87104

The 1706 San Felipe de Neri Church, on the northwest corner of the plaza, is a mix of Victorian and basic adobe architecture. The church was originally built on the west side of the plaza. In 1793 the structure was moved to the present location.

There is no admission charge to visit the church. We also enjoyed walking through the church’s small garden with its southwestern plants and flowers.

San Felipe de Neri Church
Old Town Plaza
Albuquerque

Loretto Chapel

Built in the mid 1800s, the Loretto Chapel has been featured on television shows such as Unsolved Mysteries. The Loretto Chapel is best known for its “miraculous” choir-loft staircase. According to legend, a carpenter who appeared mysteriously built the stairs without nails or visible support. The man left without taking money or leaving his name. In my opinion, the chapel is not very attractive from the outside, but it is beautiful on the inside. I felt a very special presence there that I can’t put into words. There is also a large gift shop with religious items. There is a small admission charge.

Loretto Chapel
207 Old Santa Fe Trail
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501

Located on the plaza, The Palace of the Governors is a national historic monument. The palace has been the heart of Santa Fe since 1610, the year in which it was built. The palace is the oldest public building in the United States. What was once the center of Spanish government in New Mexico is now a history museum. The museum contains maps, manuscripts, rare books, artifacts, and photographs pertaining to New Mexico. On the porch of the Palace, Native Americans sell their arts and crafts. The admission charge is $5 per adult. There is also a four-day pass to five museums available. This pass also includes the Museum of Fine Arts, The Georgia O’Keefe Museum, Museum of Indian Arts and Culture, ...Read More

The Palace of the Governors
105 East Palace Avenue

San Miguel Mission

San Miguel Mission dates back to Santa Fe’s settlement by the Spanish in 1609. The mission is one of the oldest in the United States. We enjoyed looking at the religious art, which dates back hundreds of years. Excavations show that workers constructed the adobe church on the site of a pueblo occupied as early as 1300 A.D. There is also a gift shop.

San Miguel Mission
401 Old Santa Fe Trail

The Oldest House

The Oldest House is located across from San Miguel Mission and behind Upper Crust Pizza. The Oldest House, as its name implies, is considered to be the oldest house in Santa Fe. There is no admission charge to walk through this house, which now contains a shop.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on November 6, 2001