London Journals

London ...There is no place like it...

An April 2011 trip to London by Kathy

Hereford Arms Photo, London, England More Photos
Quote: I have been here more than 30 times since 1997 and I still never run out of things to do.

Drummond Street London

Restaurant | ""Indian Restaurants in London""

Chutneys Photo, London, England
Drummond St is located directly outside of Euston Station in London. It's about 1 long block of about 5 restaurants and 2-3 stores. We almost always go to either Chutney's or Diwana's. Buffett price the same but (6.95 Pounds) .Chutney's has beer. Both are vegetarian but are both delicious. Now there is another restaurant Ravi Shankar but reviews were bad so we never went there since we loved the other 2 so much. They replenish pans all the time but don't go close to 2pm as they close and they don't have much left.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on October 25, 2011

Hereford Arms

Hereford Arms Photo, London, England
The dark panelled walls and dark pillars and the yellow tinted windows make this pub very inviting and homey. The staff is very friendly. We stopped in on the last Sunday in November after church for a pint and they were all putting up the Christmas decorations and having discussions as where to put what, it was amusing. The best thing is the non-smoking dining section. In the warmer weather they have a number of picnic tables outside. The food is normal pub food. Jacket potatos (baked potatos stuffed with different things such as ham/cheese or tuna etc.) One night for dinner we had chicken curry with rice and veggie pasta with 2 beers it was 20.00 Pounds. Ru...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 28, 2001

Hereford Arms
127 Gloucester Road
London, England SW7 4TE
+44 20 7370 4988

Camden Markets

Attraction | "Camden Locks"

Camden Markets Photo, London, England
This is probably one of my favorite markets. Last November on a Saturday, the tube leaving was closed and they were sending people four blocks down the street to the other one because of the volume of people coming to the market the tube station couldn''t handle it. Since opening in 1974 this market has grown. Handmade items, new and secondhand merchandise, jeans, books and records are the bulk of the goods that draw the young crowds here especially on the weekends. There are also street performers and hawkers here. Watch your pockets and handbags though. Also there is a great Doc Marten shoe store in the middle and a number of the stalls have them for very good prices, ...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 29, 2001

Camden Markets
Camden High Street
Camden, London, England NW1

Lamb and Flag

Restaurant | "The Lamb and Flag"

This is one of my favorite pubs in London, and since its near Covent Garden I often stop here for a pint.

The location is kind of hard to find up an alley between Garrick and Floral St.
It used to be very smoky but since London has gone non-smoking it much enjoyable. In the nicer weather everyone drinks outside but that is where the smokers are.

This is easily the oldest pub in Covent Garden.

They have a very good Ploughmans lunch here.
Beers are Guinness, Beamish, 1664 and Fosters to name a few.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 28, 2001

Lamb and Flag
33 Rose Street
London, England WC2E 9EB

Borough Market

Borough Market Photo, London, England
We stumbled upon this market by accident and we were pleasantly surprised. This is basically a small wholesale fruit and vegetable market spread out in an L shape underneath the railway tracks. We were there on a Saturday morning and there was a lot of action going on.

Borough Market
West of Borough High Street
London, England SE1

Covent Garden Photo, London, England
Covent Garden is more of a tourist market than some of the others. There are shops inside. Some are places that sell soaps "LUSH" one of my favorites and "The Body Shop". There are a lot of stalls selling purses, jewelry, sweaters and little souvenirs. Also some restaurants and kiosks that sell coffee and pastries. This is the best place for street entertainers. There is also a great Doc Marten shoe store here, but no bargains (see review on Camden Locks). Also a nice Fossil Watch store, but prices same as in U.S. I came on a Sunday in November and that place was packed with people doing their Christmas Shopping. We go to London every Thanksgiving and do most of our shopping for th...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 29, 2001

London, England WC2
+44 20 7836 9136

Courtauld Institute Of Art Gallery

Attraction | "Courtauld Institute Galleries"

Courtauld Institute Of Art Gallery Photo, London, England
London's most spectacular small collection of paintings.
The Institute was established by Samuel Courtauld in 1931, based on his collection of Impressionist and post-Impressionist collection and have been added to since.
The early galleries include Brueghel, Bottecelli and Rubens. The Impressionists remain the chief attraction.
Monday between 10AM-2PM the museum is free so save the 4.00 Pounds and visit. We did the entire museum in less than 2 hours.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 6, 2001

Courtauld Institute Of Art Gallery
Somerset House
London, England WC2R 0RN
+ 44 20 7848 2777

Horse Guards Parade

Attraction | "Horse Guards"

Horse Guards Parade Photo, London, England
This was once Henry VIII's tournament ground.
The changing of the guard takes place every day here.
The buildings completed in 1755, were designed by William Kent.
We thought it was interesting just to see the horses and I think the kids really like this.

Horse Guards Parade
Whitehall
London, England SW1

Banqueting House

Banqueting House Photo, London, England
This was an interesting place to visit and not a lot of tourists hear about it.

The building has a great architectural style. Completed in 1622 it was the sold survivor of the fire that destroyed Whitehall Palace in 1698.

The Ceiling has paintings by Rubens, a complex series of paintings that were commisioned by Charles I in 1630.
He was executed on a scaffold outside Banqueting Hall in 1649. Charles II celebrated his restoration to the throne 20 years later.

The building is occasionally used for official functions.

Banqueting House
Whitehall Road

Barkston Gardens Hotel

Hotel | "Barkston Gardens"

Barkston Gardens Hotel Photo, London, England
This hotel is two doors down from the Burns. I saw they had a special of £60 when we stayed at the Burns in October and December 2001. I booked a room for April for £60. The regular rate was £90 to £100. We had a really large room with two beds and a big bathroom. Since the hotel is almost at the corner of Earls Court Road, the street traffic noise is rather loud but livable. The breakfast wasn’t as good as at the Burns. I saw lots and lots of hotels on Barkston Gardens and some of the other side street in the Earls Court area and got cards and brochures from them. I plan to check them out next time I visit London. I would probably stay here again if they had the special rat...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on December 12, 2001

Best Western Burns Hotel Kensington

Hotel | "The Burns Hotel"

Best Western Burns Hotel Kensington Photo, London, England
This is a Best Western Hotel and one of the nicer hotels I have stayed at in London. The price of £75 is the internet price. See website above. The regular price is £145 The rate includes tax and very nice continental breakfast. The Burns is a short walk from the Earls Court Tube and there are several nice pubs and Italian, Indian, and Thai restaurants within two blocks. Also the staff at the Burns is very nice and both times we stayed there we got early check-in. They said we could store our bags there if the room wasnt ready and there are rest rooms to change in and freshen up in the bar area. I did note that when I checked the London hotes website recently that the price was at 95 pounds, ...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on December 12, 2001

Best Western Burns Hotel Kensington
18-26 Barkston Gardens
London, England SW5 0EN
44-20-73733151

Greenwich Market

Greenwich Market Photo, London, England
This isn't the best market in London but still is worth the trip. Now there are 3 ways to get to Greenwich. Docklands light railroad (get from Canary Wharf) 15 minutes from there. Regular train, or in season take a boat. I have another more detailed journal on Greenwich.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on December 12, 2001

Greenwich Market
Greenwich High Road
Greenwich, London
020 7237 2001

Abbey Road Studios

Abbey Road Studios Photo, London, England
Just take tube to St.John's Woods Station its about a 3 block walk from there. There is a nice little gift shop at the tub station also. You can see the famous street where the Beetle' took the picture for the album cover. You can't tour the studios but we went in December 2001 and since it was about 10days after George Harrison died there was quite a lot of memorabilia left there and we took a lot of pictures.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 18, 2002

Abbey Road Studios
3 Abbey Road
London, England NW8 9AY
020 7266 7000

Lower Marsh Market

Lower Marsh Market Photo, London, England
We found this market by accident--we were going to the Imperial War Museum and the Lambeth station was closed. We got off at Waterloo instead, and, after a bit of walking, found this street market. They have booths set up in the street and also shops along the sidewalks--this was a real find. My husband got some nice Doc Marten's. They had a lot of kids' toys and some food. They also had cosmetics and lots of things like socks, underwear, and sunglasses. The prices were very reasonable. Check out their website here.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on February 13, 2003

Lower Marsh Market
Lower Marsh
London, England SE1

HMS Belfast

HMS Belfast Photo, London, England
The closest tube stop is either London Bridge or Tower Hill. The cost to get in is £5.80, and there are special discounts for seniors and kids.

HMS Belfast is a cruiser. It was launched in 1938 and served throughout WWII. This is a most interesting tour, and would be great for kids. They have lots of lifelike dummies in all the different cabins protraying life as it would have been when the ship was in working order. I liked seeing the kitchen, the dentist, and the sailors just sitting around playing cards. I would leave at least two hours for this tour. They have a snack bar and also a gift shop. Click here to view their website.

HMS Belfast
Morgan's Lane
London, England SE1 2JH
+44 20 7940 6300

Old Spitalfields Market

Attraction | "Spitalfields Market"

Old Spitalfields Market Photo, London, England
A nice market, best on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. They have a small food court. Lots of novelty items, like the head massager. Lots and lots of produce and some exotic produce.

The trading units within the Market Hall have all the modern facilities that today’s trade requires which include cold storage rooms, ripening rooms and racking for palletised produce. New Spitalfields Market has the highest number of wholesale traders of any horticultural market in the United Kingdom and the continual specialisation by wholesalers in exotic fruit and vegetables provides the greatest choice of these products of any market in Europe.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 12, 2002

Old Spitalfields Market
105a Commercial St., Shoreditch
020 7247 8556

Westminster Arms Pub Photo, London, England
This is one of our favorite pubs in London. It is around the corner from Houses of Parliament and Big Ben. In the nicer weather they have 4-5 tables outside and this is a great spot for just watching people. The food is also very good pub food--they have the best Ploughman's lunch I have found at a pub in London. Ploughman's lunch is: French bread with cheese and a salad.

Westminster Arms Pub
9 Storeys Gate
London, England SW1P 3AT
(020) 7222 8520

Roman Road

Attraction | "Roman Road Market"

Roman Road Photo, London, England
The Roman Road market is open Tues, Thurs and Sat. Print the map from the website. We had to ask directions. When coming out of tube station, take a left and then a right on the first street and walk about 15 minutes.

This is a local market with very good prices. I got some sweatpants for £3.00 and they had lots of clothing for very good prices. I didn't like this market as much as Covent Garden or Camden Locks, but it was worth the trip.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on February 13, 2003

Roman Road
Roman Road From St. Stephen's Road To Parnell Road
London, England E3 5LU

Petticoat Lane Market

Attraction | "Petticoat Lane"

Petticoat Lane Market Photo, London, England
Take the tube to either Liverpool, Aldgate, or Aldgate East. There are signs, so it's easy to find. This is a Sunday-only market, open from 9am-2pm.

The leather coats here are amazing--I didn't buy one because I didn't have room in my bag, but I am definitly going to get one next time. They had lots of kids' toys and adult clothing like sweatpants and sweatshirts, plus lots of nice London souvenir T-shirts and socks.

This market is definitley worth the trip, and it's close to Spitalfields Market and Brick Lane, so make Sunday your big market day.

Petticoat Lane Market
Middlesex Street and surrounding streets
London, England E1

Half Price Ticket Booth Photo, London, England
I love going to plays in London. Before you go get on one of the theater websites like theatermonkey.com or the official London theater website and make a list of seven or eight plays that you want to see. Go to the half price booth. Don't be fooled by the windows that claim they are half price.

See the picture - that is the official half price booth, the others aren't really half price. I know because I have checked them out.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 15, 2003

Half Price Ticket Booth
Leiscester Square
London, England

also info@barkstongardens.co.uk I really like this hotel - the rooms are big and the bathrooms are also large for Europe, the location is ideal (a 2-minute walk from Earls Court tube), and there are lots of small shops around the area to get snacks, and beer and wine, etc. The staff is very friendly and helpful. If you get there early and the room isn't ready, they will hold bags, and there are restroom facilities to freshen up in. Also, a nice continental breakfast is included in the price and they have tea and coffee maker and hair dryer in the room. Most rooms are set up for two people, but they have a number of family rooms with two double beds and a fold-out couch, and the r...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on December 12, 2003

Belgo Centraal

Restaurant | "Belgo"

Belgo Centraal Photo, London, England
This is a Belgian restaurant about three blocks from Covent Garden. It looks like an old warehouse that has been converted, and the style is very modern. The food was excellent, and with all the Belgian beers, it was hard to decide what to have. They have weekday specials before 6pm, so next time I would try to get there at that time to take advantage of the specials. They have mussels as appetizers, and though we didn’t get any, the couple next to us did, and they looked great. We had salmon and duck, and it was really tasty. The service was rather slow but they were really busy, I would still go back there again, but with the exchange rate as it is now (2005) I would try to go early to take adv...Read More

Belgo Centraal
50 Earlham Street
London, England WC2H 9LJ
+44 20 7813 2233

Wembley Arena

Attraction | "Wembley Stadium"

Wembley Arena Photo, London, England
Great Sunday-only market with about 500 vendors. I was looking for a UK currency hair dryer to bring with me, since some hotels don’t have them. I got one for £6.99, and they also had socks at excellent prices. Lots of utensils, work gloves, and things like that. They have a number of food places and lots of picnic tables to sit at and eat. It opens at 9am, and you have to get there early, because it was getting very crowded by about 1pm. Hours are Sundays from 9am-3pm. Take the tube to Wembley Park Station, Jubilee, or Metropolitan line. The day we went, the station was closed, but things were well-marked, and they had buses from Baker Street.

Wembley Arena
Elvin House
London, England HA9 0DW
+44 870 060 0870

Leather Lane

Leather Lane Photo, London, England
This is a fairly small market. Open weekdays from 10:30am to 2:30pm. I got a nice pair of slipper clogs for £3, and then the usual: socks, nice reading glasses, nice winter scarfs, some flowers, veggies, and a fresh juice at the juice bar. There were some coffee shops and bakeries around for a snack.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 27, 2004

Leather Lane
Clerkenwell Road to Greville Street
London, England EC1

Merlyn Court Hotel Photo, London, England
www.merlyncourthotel.com I have stayed at five or six different hotels and B&Bs in this area, but I like this one the best. They have 18 rooms, some with private facilities and some that share the toilet and showers. Due to the exchange rate, we opted for shared facilities. The room was £55, and there were two twin beds, a dresser, an armoire, and a sink, with the toilets and shower down the hall. We had the facilities to ourselves, and the room we shared with was a single. Both times, we requested room 17 on the 4th floor. We also saw room 8 on 2nd level, and that was a bigger room, but we figured that, being higher-up, we would have facilities to ourselves, and it would be quieter. We were...Read More

2 Barkston Gardens
+44 (020) 7370 1640

Oxford Hotel

Hotel | "The Oxford Hotel"

Oxford Hotel Photo, London, England
See www.the-oxford.hotel.com.

This hotel was close to the Tube. In fact, it was almost right over it and you could hear the train and the announcements from the rooms, but it stops at midnight.

The front desk staff couldn't have been nicer, the room was nice, and the breakfast was simple, just coffee, juice, toast, and some processed cheese, so I have had much better breakfasts at other hotels in the area. I am partial to the Merlyn or Barkston Gardens, but I would stay here again if they were not available.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 19, 2005

Oxford Hotel
24 Pennywern Road
020 7370 1161

Barkston Gardens Hotel Photo, London, England
They have their own website, but if you do a search, there are lots of London discount-hotel websites that have links and lots of pictures. See www.holidaycity.com, then look for Barkston Gardens. This is one of the nicer hotels in the area. It’s also bigger and has elevators and a 24-hour front desk. They have a very nice breakfast with breads, rolls, yogurt, fruit, juice, coffee, and tea. The rooms, for the most part, are big, and the bathrooms are very nice for London since so many hotels have tiny bathrooms. There is also a nice bar and Internet access for free. All in all, I like this hotel, but the prices fluctuate depending on the time of year and the size of room. They have fami...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 19, 2005

Rushmore Hotel And Apartments

Hotel | "Rushmore Hotel"

Rushmore Hotel And Apartments Photo, London, England
I liked the location. The room was rather small but adequate. They seem to have thin walls, and we had some Germans next to us who liked to party, which was my only complaint. The staff was nice, and the breakfast is just rolls and coffee—nothing exciting, but I would stay here if the price was right. Last time it was ₤65 for two people, including breakfast and tax. They have a website, and you can book directly from that. See my other reviews for pictures.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 26, 2005

Rushmore Hotel And Apartments
11 TREBOVIR ROAD
44-1713703839

Costa Coffee

Costa Coffee Photo, London, England
I love Costa Coffee. I can't figure out how Starbucks can exist in London with Costa Coffee shops around.

They have excellent hot chocolate and cappuccino.

They also have lots of nice pastries and sandwiches for a quick lunch on the run.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on September 4, 2005

Costa Coffee
Throughout London

Merlyn Court Hotel

Hotel | "Been staying here for 8 years"

I found this place in 2003 when the exchange rate was so bad I couldn't afford anything fancier. We booked a room with shared bathroon for 55.00 pounds. The rate is a little bit higher now and the breakfast is just coffee and toast. But as long as Lucy still is running it with her staff I will stay here. The rooms are a not fancy but I still like the location. There is a Costa Coffee on Earls Court Rd and lots of nice Pubs. Its a short walk to the Tube station. There used to be a Dino's Italian Restaurant next to tube but it closed. The street is quiet with just a little bit of noise when the bars close.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 15, 2011

2 Barkston Gardens
+44 (020) 7370 1640

Imperial War Museum London

Attraction | "I always go to IWM when in London"

The museum is free and they also have special exhibits. Sometimes the special exhibits do charge. They have a whole section on WW1 and another on WW2. With interactive things for kids. There always seems to be school groups here. The Trench experience is good and I also like Blitz Experience. Lots of planes and tanks to see. Some kids can get on and in. The gift shop is good and even the cafe has good food. There isn't really any places in the Lambeth area to eat. There is 1 bar and a bakery and thats about it so we usually eat there. You can take bus 59 back for a nice rideand get off by Trafalgar Square.They had special exhibits on Lawrence of Arabia and also on Great Escapes and the 90th ann...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on October 15, 2011