Buenos Aires Journals

An October 2011 trip to Buenos Aires by Kathy

Lola House Photo, Buenos Aires, Argentina More Photos
Quote: 3nights and 4 full days in Buenos Aires

Lola House

Hotel | "An Oasis in a quiet neighborhood"

The 3 girls who work at front desk are wonderfull. Clara, Andrea and Daniela. We booked directly thru hotel website and got a rate of $90.00 UDS plus tax inc breakfast. The room was large and in quiet neighborhood. 7 metro stops from the Plaza de Mayo. Note the Metro was just 2 blocks away.There are 2 grocery stores inn the neighborhood they had water and wine etc.We got a great bottle of Argentina Malbec for about $4.00 . I can't recomend this place enough. the staff made it they gave us maps and told us where to go. we ate dinner at Taverna Roberto this was 6 blocks away and excellent .

Castro Barros 1073
Buenos Aires, Capital Federal District 1217
866-539-0036

Lola House

Hotel | "An Oasis in a quiet Neighborhood"

Lola House Photo, Buenos Aires, Argentina
This place has just 11 rooms. We paid 90.00 US plus tax inc a great breakfast. There was 2 grocery stores in the neighborhood. 1 across the street and another 1 block down. Also a wine store. The metro was 2 blocks away and then just 7stops to the main square of Plaza de Mayo. The girls at the front desk spoke excellent English and were helpful with maps and places to eat. See re4view on Taverna de Roberto. This was a local restaurant just 6 blocks away and I think much better than anything in the guide books

Castro Barros 1073
Buenos Aires, Capital Federal District 1217
866-539-0036

Calle Florida (Florida Street)

Attraction | "Shopping in Buenos Aires. Different than Beijing. YES."

Calle Florida (Florida Street) Photo, Buenos Aires, Argentina
We hit this street 1st thing once we arrived in BA. Our girls at the hotel told us and it just 2 blocks from the Plaza De Mayo. Now I am used to bargaining but they really don't much here. Kind of an nice break from some of the places I have been. I got shoes for 300.00 pesos (about $74.00) USD. Its actuall just fun to walk down the street and check things out. We heard a good place was the mall. e did at at the food court but the place we chose was horrible but I think that was our fault. Some other places looked better.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on October 13, 2011

Calle Florida (Florida Street)
Downtown

La Taberna de Roberto

Restaurant | "Eat with the Locals"

La Taberna de Roberto Photo, Buenos Aires, Argentina
As Americans we aren't used to eating late and this restaurant doesn't even open till 8:30. We got there right at 8;30 and got seated. We looked at the menu in Spanish and ordered. None of the waiters speak English but that was OK. They brought a basket of fresh bread and we ordered a bottle of Argentina wine. By about 9pm the place was full. Lots of families with kids and grandparents. Almost every table was taken . This restaurant was 6blocks from our hotel. See review Lola House. Dinner for 2 with wine and a large fresh salad. (Big enough to split). Cost 202.00 pesos about $47.00 USD. Now if you weren't staying in this area I presume you are not gonna come out this way but for us it was perfect.

La Taberna de Roberto
Castro Barros ( Boedo District)
4922 7384

Casa Rosada

Attraction | "Stunning at night"

You can tour this house on the weekend and its timed so get there early but its worth it. I got there at 11am and my tour was at 12:20 so it wasn't that bad. The guided tour is in Spanish but the guide Fernandoman spoke excellent English and gave myself and 2 British girls the info in English. We got to see some rooms that the president uses for meetings and her desk and lots of nice pictures. The tour was very informative and worth it.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 15, 2011

Casa Rosada
Calle Balcarce 50
Buenos Aires

La Recoleta Cemetery

Attraction | "Better or as good as Pere Lachais in Paris"

La Recoleta Cemetery Photo, Buenos Aires, Argentina
This Cemetary is really excellent. Eva Peron is here and there are a number of famous Argentians here also some poets and boxers and musicians. But its the size of the crypts and the fact that there are fresh flowers on a lot of them that you can see the cemetary is kept up very well. The entrance is free and they charge 8 pesos (about $2.00) for a guide map but its worth it. We spent about 1 hr here. You have to see the crypt for Ruffina (there is a story there) Also on Saturday and Sunday they have a market here and there are lots of excellent crafts here. Such as leather and handicrafts. I got a nice picture frame and some handmade shawls but they don't bargain and I have been to China so I am used...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on October 15, 2011

La Recoleta Cemetery
Junín 1790 Recoleta District
Buenos Aires, Argentina 1116
+54 (11) 4804 7040

Buller Pub and Restaurant

Restaurant | "Best Burger I've had in a long time"

I think there are 2-3 of these restaurants in Buenos Aires. We went to the one by Recoleta Cemetary. I walked in and was greeted right away by a friendly staff member. When I sat at bar I was given a bar menu and looked at the 6 selections and picked a Pale Ale it was about $4.00 for a pint and very good. I waited for my friend who was still shopping in the market area. When she arrived we asked to be seated and ordered. The food was really good. I presume the hamburger was like ground sirloin and not ground chuck or something because it was very flavorful.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on October 15, 2011