Kyrgyzstan Journals

Kyrgystan

A July 2000 trip to Kyrgyzstan by fluppe

Marina Fiesta Resort Photo, Kyrgyzstan, Asia More Photos
Quote: This was part of my Silk Road trip through Central Asia. We crossed the country in one week with old Russian Army trucks.

Kyrgystan

Kyrgystan Photo, Kyrgyzstan, Asia
"The wondrous beauty of nature and the knowledge that my journey was taking me into the fastnesses of the mountains, far from the Communist experiments, brought a profound peace to my soul." Paul Nazaroff, 1919 The words of this counter-revolutionary, written after fleeing from the Bolsheviks into Kyrgystan, hold good today. The nature and the scenery of Kyrgystan are so beautiful that it is hard to describe with words, I believe that my pictures will say more than any words ever can. Quick Tips: Best Way To Get Around: It is a difficult country to go around by yourself. There is not much public transport, and if you want to get off-road you surely need ...Read More

Marina Fiesta Resort

Hotel | "Under the stars"

Marina Fiesta Resort Photo, Kyrgyzstan, Asia
The best way to be one with nature, is spending the night in a tent.

Location: Somewhere on a mountain meadow. Always choose a meadow with some bushes, that is very handy if you need to go to the toilet.

It is a great feeling to sleep in a tent when it is raining outside. I love the sound of the drops on the tent. This is funny as long as you stay dry inside the tent.

Beware that in some cases you sleep on high altitudes, and it can be very chilly at night, so take a good warm sleeping bag.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 29, 2001

Marina Fiesta Resort
Cabo San Lucas Marina
Cabo San Jose, Mexico

Hilton Grand Vacations Club at the Flamingo Photo, Las Vegas, Nevada
Spending the night in a yurt. This is the typical housing of the Nomads. Most of these Nomads are very friendly, and even invite you to spend the night in one of their yurts.

Look at the picture and you will see our bathroom. I can hear you think, "what bathroom, that river?" Oh yes that river with ice cold glacier water was our bathroom for the whole trip. And yes, it was cold, but you get used to it, and it was the only way to refresh yourself.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 29, 2001

Hilton Grand Vacations Club at the Flamingo
3575 Las Vegas Blvd. South
Las Vegas, Nevada 89109

Manas museum

Manas museum Photo, Kyrgyzstan, Asia
When you are passing the city of Talas you must not forget to visit the Manas museum

In fact Manas was a kind of Hero of the heroes. The myth says that he was very strong and powerful.

In the museum you can see about his life, the way of living, the battles, the weapons.

You can also see the Manas mausoleum.

Well nowadays a personality like Manas is very important for the Kyrgyz people. Now that the Russians are gone, they really need a person they can look up to, someone they can be proud of. This kind of gives them strenghth.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 5, 2001

Flood control dam

flood control dam Photo, Kyrgyzstan, Asia
We entered Kyrgystan via the Kazakhstan border. The passing of the border went very quickly. And we spend our first night not far from a flood-control dam.

In the morning, after breakfast, and after the de-mounting of our tents, we usually started our day with a hike. The guide told us which direction to go, and then after about 1 hour the truck-bus picked us up. That was a good way to do some exercise, because sitting in a bus for one month is not so good. So the same happened the first morning, we walked towards the flood-control dam. And there we saw some statues to honour the men who made this imposing construction. On the other side of the lake we saw the head of Lenin carved

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 4, 2001

Talas

Talas Photo, Kyrgyzstan, Asia
The first City we entered was Talas. It looked small and everything looked grey and a bit deserted. I believe since the Russians are gone, the whole country isn't doing so well.

We did see a lot of dirty, grey housing blocks in Sovjet style.

Most of the Kyrgyz people are Nomads. Their favorite transportation is the horse. As proud cowboys you see these men enter the village. Traditional is also the akkalpak, a distinguished white felt hat with black trimmings and tassels.

The moment we arrived in Talas there was also a local market and there we did see this original way of transporting two calfs. Just put them in the trunk of your car.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 4, 2001

Talas market

Talas market Photo, Kyrgyzstan, Asia
It is always great to vVisit a local market. here you can see the real life, see the activities of the locals. And buy some stuff for your further journey. And if you do not speak any Kyrgyz language or even no Russian, it is really funny to try to explain something with hands and feet. It is great to discover what the locals sell and buy. Like the different kinds of paste and loads of candy and biscuits. As we stayed in full nature for a whole week, we did not need a lot of Kyrgys money, for the simple reason, there was no possibility of spending it. So in Talas we all changed 1 (one) US dollar, that was good for 50 Som. So that way we could do some shopping at the local market. I b...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 4, 2001

A Yurt monument

yurt monument Photo, Kyrgyzstan, Asia
In a small village we passed, we saw a kind of monument. It was the monument for a local hero. As the story goes, he was very big and strong.

The monument is in fact a Yurt under some kind of roof. Inside the Yurt there is a giant hand print of the local hero. We all tried to put our hand in the handprint to measure it but our hands were much smaller than the one in the Yurt.

This monument was intended to be the last resting place for this hero, but his family did not agree and so now he is buried at the local cemetery.

Cemeteries

Cemeteries Photo, Kyrgyzstan, Asia
Visit one of the many cemeteries along the road. As the Kyrgyz people are nomads, they never have a fixed place to stay.

Only once they are dead, the relatives build a grave in a form of a house; these graves are always near a road, so the deceased can watch the other nomads travel on.

The richer the family, the bigger and more beautiful the graves become. In front you see a typical Kyrgyz grave in the form of a Yurt made of iron work, the Yurt is the typical tent used by the nomads.

Son Kul Lake

Son Kul Lake Photo, Kyrgyzstan, Asia
The big Son-Kul lake. It is great to stop and sit near the lake to relax and enjoy the scenery. It is always good if you stop near one of the many yurts, and meet the real Kyrgys nomads.
When we approached the big Son-kul lake, we saw a little boy on a camel. Everyone yelled `Photo-Stop`, I think this boy must feel like a real VIP now, as he was photgraphed by 20 tourists. After all, it was the first camel we did see on our trip.

Tash Rabat

Tash Rabat Photo, Kyrgyzstan, Asia
Visit Tash Rabar Caravanserai. To visit this caravanserai, you must leave the road that heads to the Chinese border. It`s about 15 km in the mountains, finally you arrive in a superb, green valley. This caravanserai was build to protect The Silk caravans from snowstorms and bandits; it dates from the 10th century. Entry fee : 5 som per person at the gate on the road.We also spend the night at that place, in the back you see the yurts next to the white building. But we preferred to sleep in our own tent. I should also tell you that Tash Rabat is at 3,500 m altitude- pretty high, which also means pretty chilly after sunset. We were equipped with good sleeping gear, so no pr...Read More

Amazing country

Kyrgystan Photo, Kyrgyzstan, Asia
Kyrgystan is an amazing country. It`s great to travel off-road. Now you can understand why you need a 4x4 vehicle.
As you travel along the countryside, you see daily life pass. See a local family milking their horses. With that milk they prepare a kind of fermented sour milk. To be honest, I tried it and I did not like it.

Child's bed

Kyrgystan Photo, Kyrgyzstan, Asia
The typical children`s beds. Under the bed is a small bucket. They put a kind of pipe on the baby so when he pees, it flows into the small bucket. Of course, I can already hear you think: yes they have two shapes of pipes, one for the boys and one for the girls.

Isn`t he cute? And yes, I am sure it was a boy because I saw the mother place the special pee-pipe before she covered him completely.(pic 2)

Meeting the locals

Story/Tip

Meeting the locals Photo, Kyrgyzstan, Asia
Kyrgyz people are Nomads, that is why all the young boys can ride their horse so well. Some of our group tried it, but it didn`t go so well. Also the horse means the only way of transport for these guys in a rough environment.

Isn`t he cute, this little sheppard leaning over his donkey. (pic 2)

The encounter with some locals. (pic 3) As we made a photo -stop, some guys on horses approached, of course they are very curious about who we were and were we came from. Not so many tourist travel through this area.

And via our Russian translator we were able to talk to these super friendly men.

Public Transport

Story/Tip

public transport Photo, Kyrgyzstan, Asia
When we stopped in Naryn, we visited the local market but had some extra time because of the repair of a flat tire. I had time to observe the local lifestyle and as I work in a company that makes buses and coaches, I was interrested in the public transport. All the vehicles looked very old. Watch the picture, there are a lot of people still waiting to get on the bus, and the bus was already pretty full, but after sometime they all managed to get on the bus, I think it was not very comfortable.