Chicago Journals

Chicago in January

A January 2011 trip to Chicago by surfninja

The Sutton Place Hotel Chicago Photo, Chicago, Illinois More Photos
Quote: The Bears' getting in the playoffs meant we got to come back to Chi-town in January. Quite a different place than in September - but still fun!

Legoland Discovery Centre Chicago

Attraction | "An Afternoon of Indoor Fun!"

We went to Legoland Discovery Center on a Friday afternoon in January. This was the only day of the week on which we could both take advantage of our online coupon (which, as I recall, was a child gets in free with paying adult or something of that nature) AND ride the free Woodfield Trolley. We followed the directions for using public transportation from downtown listed on the legoland website - http://www.legolanddiscoverycenter.com/chicago/en/plan-your-visit/how-to-find-us.htm - which worked quite well, although the whole process takes about two hours each way. When you are visiting Chicago with a four-year-old boy, however, transportation is what it's all about!We had visited Legoland ...Read More

Legoland Discovery Centre Chicago
601 N. Martingale Road
Schaumburg, Illinois 60173
866 929 8111

Big Bowl

Restaurant | "Very popular!"

We got takeout from here our first night in town. They have both Thai and Chinese food, with a fresh flair. The fare was hot and tasty. They are not very well set up for people (like me) who want to get take out but did not already order it. However, if you want to do it, you can order in advance online quite easily.

Big Bowl
6 E Cedar St

Luxbar

Restaurant | "Great Neighborhood Joint"

I wish we had discovered this place earlier on in our trip. It, too, was right across the street from our hotel, the Sutton Place. We got takeout on our last night in town. The bartender was the kind that makes one want to hang out in bars more, and I enjoyed a beverage while waiting. I had the meat loaf, ($13,00), and my husband had the buttermilk fried half chicken ($13.50). So, the prices were reasonable for what one expects to pay for a sit-down meal while traveling in a large city. (If you want steak, though, expect to pay significantly more.)

Luxbar
18 E Bellevue Pl

Original Pancake House

Restaurant | "Crowded on the Weekends"

We ate here at least three times during our stay across the street at the Sutton Place Hotel. The first couple were quite pleasant, as they were relatively early in the morning on a weekday. Each time, I had the Swedish pancakes with lingonberries, as I get a kick out of saying Lingonberry because of The Big Lebowski. Apparently, the Swedes like their pancakes big and flat - different from the normal buttermilk pancakes which they also serve. The portion of the Swedish pancake was just the right amount of food for me. The service was quite good - just attentive enough.Then, we visited again on a Saturday, and they were all uppity about us bringing a stroller (which we had done previously...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on May 7, 2011

Original Pancake House
22 East Bellevue Place
+1 312 642 7917

The Sutton Place Hotel Chicago

Hotel | "Would definitely stay here again!"

The Sutton Place Hotel Chicago Photo, Chicago, Illinois
This is more of a boutique, limited amenity hotel, but still very elegant, and the location is great as far as having plenty of restaurants to choose from within a sort walk. We joined their club and got free internet for the duration of our stay. : ) The staff was very helpful and friendly.

The Sutton Place Hotel Chicago