Rio de Janeiro Journals

Home of the Samba,the Beach and That Famous Girl

A travel journal to Rio de Janeiro by nofootprint

Ipanema Beach Photo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil More Photos
Quote: We enjoyed our first stop in Brazil very much.Breathtakingly beautiful ...we caught our first glimpse of Rio from the air and couldn't wait to get started.We stayed in Ipanema not far from the famous beach.

The Nightlife

Conversa Fiada

Restaurant | "Come for the Food ,Stay for the Music"

Conversa Fiada Photo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
We found this place by chance when we strolled past when we left the Garata Ipanema. It's a popular local hangout and was jammed. The love music was non stop and excellent as was the food and drinks.Good prices too.
Warning though if you stop for drinks only there is a cover charge of 8Real.

Conversa Fiada
Rua Maria Quitéria, 46
2247-8609

Brazilian Performance at Plataforma Restaurant Photo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Platforma
What to say about the show??Humm??
I'd have to say we wouldn't go again .Having said that however we did enjoy parts of it. The dinner was good and the costumes were wonderful. But after the first 45 minutes the glitz began to wear off and the show seemed to drag.
We have seen so many spectacular shows , maybe we just expected too much. They drinks were very expensive...this I expected but the 17 Real glass of wine was so bad I couldn't drink it.

Cost 130 real no dinner , 170 real with dinner. If you book through the hotel transportation is included.

Phone: 021 274 4022

Leblon, Rio de Janeiro
(21) 2274.4022

Where to Stay

Mar Ipanema Hotel

Hotel | "Close to the Beach"

Mar Ipanema Hotel Photo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

We were happy with our choice to stay here. It is a good location ,close to the beach and shopping .The room was comfortable with a mini bar , hairdryer and a huge breakfast buffet .I loved the coconut buns!

This is a very safe convenient location .We would stay here again!

Address: Rua Visconde de Pirajá 539, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, 22410-003, Brazil

Mar Ipanema Hotel
Rua Visconde De Piraja, 539, Ipanema

Restaurants

Zuco

Restaurant | "Local Fare"

Zuco Photo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Restaurant Name: Zuco

This is a very popular "fast food"local place...they also deliver. I had a noodel veg/chicken dis with a long name that I can't remember . It was delicious. My husband enjoyed his fish too. It was very inexpensive at about $8.00 each!

Zuco

Porcão

Restaurant | "Come Hungry!!"

Porcão Photo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
We just had to try a real \Brazilian Bar B Que so we headed here our first night. This place has good reviews and didn't disappoint.
The waiters in crisp red uniforms are plentiful and curtious . Some speak English too! We did our best to not to overeat by choosing our favorite cuts passing on the more common choices ...like flank stak and chicken .Even at that we were stuffed!! The meat arrives sizzling on a skewer right to your plate. The cost is 73 Reals each for all you can eat.This was a short 15 minute walk from our Hotel Mar Ipanema.

Porcão
Rua Barão da Torre, 218
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 22411-000
+ 55 21 2554 8535

Garota de Ipanema

Restaurant | "The One the Song Made Famous"

Garota de Ipanema Photo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Restaurant Name: Garata de Ipanema

I know , I know its a tourist trap but I couldn't resist. We both love that song and we really enjoyed sharing a bottle of wine and mixed grill at the cafe where the song "The Girl from Ipanema "was written.

Legend says a this is the cafe by which the 15 year old girl strolled on her way to the sea.
There are lots of memorabelia on the walls and the food was really good. The only disappointment was there was no music!!

Address: Vinicius de Morais

Garota de Ipanema
Rua Vinicius De Morais, 49 Ipanema
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 22411-010
+55 21 25233787

Touring Rio

Jardim Botânico (Rio de Janeiro Botanical Garden)

Attraction | "Rio's Botanical Garden"

Jardim Botânico (Rio de Janeiro Botanical Garden) Photo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
This morning we headed to the Botanical Garden . Being an avid gardener , this was something I was really looking forward to.The one mile walk described by our hotel was in reality closer to 3 miles but none of the les we chalked it up to much needed exercise ,paid our 5Real at th gate and started our self guided tour.Its a huge very mature garden . Its a shame there are no maps provided as I'm sure we missed lots.My favorite section is the Palm Groves. Here there are hundreds of different mature specimens. We walked the elegant palm lined center lane and marveled at the wonderful mature trees.There are huge shady areas with towering bamboos. We looked f...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on December 26, 2010

Jardim Botânico (Rio de Janeiro Botanical Garden)
Rua Jardim Botânico, 1008 (jardim Botânico)
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 22470-180
55 21 22946947

Ipanema Beach Photo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Ipanema -We enjoyed this our ,first stop in Brazil very much.Breathtakingly beautiful ...we caught our first glimpse of Rio from the air and couldn't wait to get started.We stayed in Ipanema not far from the famous beach.We visited this famous beach in Oct so there are no crowds, just a few tourists and some young locals practicing soccer. No wonder this beach is so famous . It is a wide stretch of perfect white sand, huge waves all protected and nestled into a bay. It is spectacular. The landscape is completed by cone shaped mountains along the coast with red roofed housed spilling down the their cliffs. This was a perfect place for us to stroll and rest. Ii helped me r...Read More
Christ Statue in the Fog Photo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
We were offered a tour to take us here and Sugar Loaf for 210 Real but as it turns out we were pleased we headed here on our own by taxi . It was so easy to do and gave us the time we wanted to explore. We also saved a bundle!We flagged a taxi in front of our hotel and it took us 30 minutes in traffic and 28 real to get there. The driver offered to wait ( saying he would turn off the meter). There are lots of taxis so this is not necessary .The train was running so we were taken to the top by a shuttle bus .The entrance fee is 17Real. The rive winds through the lush tropical Tijuca Jungle .At the stop are 200 steps or an elevator to take you to the top .We opted for the later!! Unfortunately whe...Read More