Victoria Journals

Vancouver Island Hopping from a Wife's Perspective

Best of IgoUgo

A July 2001 trip to Victoria by Free Spirit

View from Stern Photo, Victoria, British Columbia More Photos
Quote: Using Canoe Cove Marina in Sidney as our base, we explored the east coast of Vancouver Island on a 31 foot chartered boat, enjoying the raw beauty of the Gulf Islands and the incredible harbor of the city of Vancouver across the Strait of Georgia.

Vancouver Island Hopping from a Wife's Perspective

View from Stern Photo, Victoria, British Columbia
This vacation was an adventure, perhaps foolhardy at times, traveling in unfamiliar and unpredictable weather and waters. For the week that we were there the weather teased sometimes-the old wait for 30 minutes cliche. It did not rain, however, and for visitors from the hot and humid South of the U.S., the cool temperatures were a delight. I was comfortable with a light sweater and slacks. The Canadians were friendly and helpful. It was clean and beautiful everywhere we went, and everywhere we went the water and the islands enchanted us. Quick Tips: This is definitely not to be attempted without an experienced person who can really navigate a boat. People are helpful with docking in the ma...Read More

Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort and Spa

Hotel | "Ocean Pointe Resort"

Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort and Spa Photo, Victoria, British Columbia
This is a gorgeous place to stay. My husband and I did not spend the night. Our companions, a lovely husband and wife, chose to spend most nights in hotels while my intrepid husband and I stayed on the boat and dropped them off at more luxurious accommodations. This qualifies. It is right on the harbor and looks out on the Empress Hotel, Parliament Bldg., and museums across the water. We did eat in the Boardwalk Restaurant, talked with our friends about their impression of the hotel and would highly recommend both.

Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort and Spa
45 Songhees Road
Victoria, British Columbia V9A6T3

The rooms were very clean and conveniently located near places to eat, the airport, local attractions such as Butchart Gardens, our marina at Canoe Cove, and the ferry station. One should have a car to get there. We drove from there along the scenic drive to Victoria.

Motel Super 8
2477 Mount Newton Cross Road
Victoria, British Columbia

Canoe Cove Marina, Gulf Islands Cruising School Photo, Victoria, British Columbia
This is a marina and the charter price of our boat covered the overnight docking fee at the marina. This marina and all marinas we used were exceptionally clean. They have showers and restrooms that are totally acceptable. They have washing machines, and there are places to eat right beside the marina if one does not want to cook on the boat. My husband cooked or fixed sandwiches on the boat (part of the deal we made for his choice of his dream vacation), but we did eat at restaurants with our friends.

Canoe Cove Marina, Gulf Islands Cruising School
P.O. Box 2532
1(800) 665-2628

Ganges Marina

Ganges Marina Photo, Victoria, British Columbia
This is an excellent marina. Moorage fee was $38. The showers and bathrooms here are memorable. The restrooms seem to be built of cedar and are exceptionally clean. Other boaters and the people at the marina store were very friendly. Our companions stayed at the Harbor House Hotel, 121 Upper Ganges Rd. (888-799-5571), which was a short walk from the marina. Their bedroom balcony overlooked our marina. I believe their room was around $130.

Ganges Marina
161 Lower Ganges Road

Coal Harbor Marina

Coal Harbor Marina Photo, Victoria, British Columbia
This is a very large marina. It was $58 a night. Remember that all the prices I am giving are in Canadian dollars, and the exchange rate was favorable for us. Entering Vancouver harbor was a memorable experience to say the least. The marina is across from the Exxon and Chevron fueling stations for boats. The marina had the most amazing assortment of vessels. There were houseboats, sail boats, and some of the most expensive, huge yachts I have ever seen. The facilities are excellent and one can step off the boat and onto the streets of Vancouver. It is a short walk from the Westin Bayshore Resort and Marina where our friends stayed. The most fascinating aspect of our marina was watching this amazing ...Read More

Coal Harbor Marina
1525 Coal Harbor Quay

Westin Bayshore Resort and Marina

Westin Bayshore Resort and Marina Photo, Victoria, British Columbia
My husband and I did not stay here, but it was the meeting place for us with our friends who had stayed there on previous visits. I was impressed with the appearance of the hotel overlooking the water, but our friend seemed to think that renovations had taken away from the ambiance. He liked the way it once was. Apparently the hotel has seen its share of celebrities including Howard Hughes, a piece of information shared on the tour of Vancouver we took on a bus. There were doormen dressed like Beefeaters, and the lobby was quite nice. I would not recommend the bus tour that we booked through the hotel lobby. It was the Vancouver Grand City Tour, and it took us to stops in Stanley Park and Queen Eliza...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on September 30, 2001

Westin Bayshore Resort and Marina
1601 Bayshore Drive

Captains ' Table Waterfront Restaurant

Restaurant | "Captain's Table Waterfront Restaurant"

Captains ' Table Waterfront Restaurant Photo, Victoria, British Columbia
They were having a summer salmon barbecue which consisted of barbecued salmon, corn on the cob, and potato salad. The real attraction of the restaurant is not the food, which was adequate, but the view beside the water. One can walk along the water outside the restaurant on a nice path which is lined with flowers.

Captains ' Table Waterfront Restaurant
9891 Seaport Place

Boardwalk Restaurant

Restaurant | "The Boardwalk Restaurant (Ocean Pt. Hotel)"

Boardwalk Restaurant Photo, Victoria, British Columbia
We ate lunch and I enjoyed a smoked turkey breast sandwich with Monterey Jack, Tarragon Mayo, lettuce, tomato on peasant date bread that was delicious. We also had lobster bisque and wonderful iced tea. The restaurant looks out on the Inner Harbor and boats and seaplanes were in and out as we ate. It was very relaxing and a satisfying soup and sandwich meal that seemed very healthy to me.

Boardwalk Restaurant
45 Songhees Road

Waddling Dog

I enjoyed my steak, but my companions all gave their meals a thumbs down. The Canadian beer was good, and the waitress was pleasant. It's a sports bar, but there was no sound for ESPN.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on September 30, 2001

Waddling Dog
2476 Mount Newton Cross Road

Bedwell Harbor Island Resort and Marina Photo, Victoria, British Columbia
We had a BLT and a bowl of beef with barley soup. It was quite filling and the cafe overlooks the marina where there were seaplanes, rowers, sailboats, and all sorts of vessels coming and going as we ate and watched. There is a fairly complete area with activities, tennis, laundromat, and rooms. I am not certain, but they may not be open during the fall and winter. I'd call ahead.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on September 30, 2001

Bedwell Harbor Island Resort and Marina
9801 Spalding Rd

Kanaka Restaurant

I ordered prawns in butterfly pasta. There were some flies. They served excellent drinks. I had a margarita. The restaurant overlooks the Ganges Marina. We really intended to eat elsewhere, but the Greek restaurant we had selected was closed.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on September 30, 2001

Kanaka Restaurant
Ganges Road

Stonehouse Pub & Restaurant

Restaurant | "Stone House Pub"

The food was delicious and the location of the restaurant in the wooded area just above Canoe Cove Marina was very special. It is very picturesque with very unusual trees. The interior is very simple and rustic looking. We enjoyed relaxing. The service was very good. I ordered grilled salmon, but what I enjoyed the most was ginger almond carrot soup.

Stonehouse Pub & Restaurant
2215 Canoe Cove Road

Lasting Impressions

Story/Tip

Amazing Sky and Sea Photo, Victoria, British Columbia
As we flew from Seattle in one of those small propeller planes that gives one pause, I knew that the view below was a harbinger of a terrific time. Water and islands were everywhere. We landed on Vancouver Island a short drive from our marina. When we landed, it was raining, a light drizzle. The next morning the skies were clearing and for the remainder of our stay, the weather was wonderful. I have been known to become very seasick, but either my determination or the patch I wore behind my ear saved me from that fate. One of our friends was sick for a while crossing the Strait of Georgia to Vancouver, but she was a real trooper and recovered rather quickly. We did not spend time on all the tourist a...Read More