Naples Journals

Say Goodnight to Napoli

A May 2009 trip to Naples by cflecker

Ancient City of Pompeii (Pompeii Scavi) Photo, Pompeii, Italy More Photos
Quote: My first trip abroad. Visiting my (now-estranged) husband's family in Naples, also touring Pompeii and Capri. Molto bene.

Le Vie di Napoli

Story/Tip

Steps in Naples Photo, Naples, Italy
The streets of Naples aren't what I'm used to in America. They're congested with Vespas and tiny cars and people. Signs and rules seem to be merely suggestions. Some roads are rutted, cobbled, and barely wide enough for a taxi, while others seem able to comfortably fit a cruise ship. The way avenues lead to pedestrian-only squares or suddenly become one way is dizzying, making me glad I didn't have to drive there. But they exude a cultural flair that is conspicuously absent in the places I've visited in the US.

Naples Photo, Naples, Italy
As my legs quickly learned, Napoli is a city of hills. And as in most urban areas, housing is built upwards, not outwards. My husband's family lived on the eighth floor of one such apartment building, and the view of the city and Mt. Vesuvius in the distance is lovely.

Ancient City of Pompeii (Pompeii Scavi)

Attraction | "Buried Treasure Mobbed By Tourists"

Ancient City of Pompeii (Pompeii Scavi) Photo, Pompeii, Italy
Anyone who's ever watched PBS knows the gist of Pompeii-- Italian city completely buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD, rediscovered 1600 years later. It gives a fascinating look at life in the Roman Empire.Modern reality is a bit harsh. Right outside Pompeii is a circus of people hawking souvenirs, jewelry, drinks, soccer jerseys, antiques, etc. After fighting our way through that, we queued for an hour for tickets, and waited another 45 minutes to get through the gates. Obviously there are no trees, and it felt like the sun was a foot from our heads for the entire today. It's the most crowded World Heritage site I've ever been to. To say that there are a lo...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on September 8, 2010

Ancient City of Pompeii (Pompeii Scavi)
Pompeii
Naples, Italy

Capri (General)

Story/Tip

Capri Photo, Capri, Italy
My husband had told me a lot about Capri in the weeks leading up to our visit, mostly telling me how much I'd love it. I believed him until we got off the boat, where there was a lot of boat exhaust, garbage in the water, and tacky T-shirt shops. It was like New Jersey, but in Italian. "Oh," I said, feeling a bit let down. "Cool." "No. Come on," he replied. "We go up."We rode the Funiculare up to Capri proper, overlooking lemon trees and plants and the Mediterranean leading back to Naples. As we got higher, the smells of citrus and mint and flowers grew stronger. At the top, people moved through the square and birds flew overhead and all around was an expan...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on September 8, 2010

Some Dude on The Royal Palace Photo, Naples, Italy
A pigeon defecated upon my shoulder in the Piazza del Plebiscito. It was bad because it was gross. It was good because it allowed me to use a line from my favorite video game ever, Fable 2: "Oh, yuck! Well, I hear that's lucky, kind of like finding a four-leaf clover. Though I think I'd prefer the clover."