Seattle Journals

Pacific Northwest - June 2009

A June 2009 trip to Seattle by kbyfield

Pike Market Photo, Seattle, Washington More Photos
Quote: In June of 2009, we traveled thru Washington, Oregon, and Victoria, BC. We started in Seattle, WA

Day 1 - Seattle

Umi Sake House

Restaurant | "Excellent Sushi House!"

Recommened by a local, we ventured down to Umi for dinner. Our expectaton weren't overly high at the time but upon wentering the front doors, we quickly raised them. The decor is very nice and clean. Not overly done and comfortable. We sat at the sushi bar and has some of the best sushi I've ever had. The service was perfect, the flavors were outstanding and the price what you would expect for a place like this.

If we lived closer, this would easily beomce one of our regular visits

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 28, 2010

Umi Sake House
2230 First Ave
Seattle, Washington 98121

Pike Place Market

Attraction | "Tourist trap that smells like dead fish"

Pike Place Market Photo, Seattle, Washington
Much like the Green Tortise, I do not uinderstand the appeal. Watching someone toss a dead fish someone else is what passes for excitement here? WOOHOO!!

The market area itself had some interesting shops and some obvious tourist magnets. Everything was priced above what you'd pay elsewhere and we didn't see anyhtung which was really exciting or extaordinary. That said, we did buy a selection of cheeses, meats and breads to use as filed lunches for the rest of our trip but this was mostly out of ease vs need. Neither of us wanted to drive around seattle looking for a grocery store

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on April 28, 2010

Pike Place Market
85 Pike Street
Seattle, Washington 98101

Pike Pub & Brewery

Restaurant | "Good Beer, Ok Food"

Pike Pub & Brewery Photo, Seattle, Washington
Not a whole lot to say. Standard pub food, nothing to amazing nor bad about it. The beer was good though coming from a strong beer prodicing state, I wasn't overly impressed with any of it thoug nothing made me want to dump it out either.

If youre in the area and need dinner, it's a good place to stop but I wouldn't go out of my way to get there.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 28, 2010

Pike Pub & Brewery
1415 First Ave
Seattle, Washington 98101
+1 206 622 6044

Day 2 - Down to Portland

Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument

Attraction | "A Piece of History that Should not Be Missed"

Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument Photo, Olympia, Washington
I can clearly remember when the volcano blew. I remember sitting in class and discussing why it happenes, what the effects would be, the lives lost and what it meant. Having the opportunity to see it 1st hand was something I couldn't pass up.The area leading up to the blast site is as ionteresting as the site itself. You can still see where the forest was flattened by the initial blast. Tree lay onthe ground as if straightened by a giant comb. Areas reforested by the paper company are clearly marked and it's amazing to see how fast the trees are retaking the mountain.At the crater, there is a very nice visiters center with interactive displays. Numerous photos of the even...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 28, 2010

Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument
42218 N.E. Yale Bridge Rd.
Amboy, Washington 98601