Tasmania Journals

A Couple Days of Food & Nature

A December 2009 trip to Tasmania by jenl

43 Degrees Photo, Bruny Island, Australia More Photos
Quote: Bruny Island is nearish to Hobart. It's mostly national park.

Lennonville Orchard

Attraction | "Best Cherries Ever"

You can't visit the orchard but there's a small shack near the ferry terminal where you can buy the cherries.

They're the deep dark red sweet variety. Plump & yummy!

Wish I had bought more!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 11, 2010

Lennonville Orchard
259 Lennon Rd.
Bruny Island, Australia
61 (3) 62606292

We didn't spend much time here but from what I saw... Bruny Island seems to close down by 5pm.

Before going, I tried to find a place to book for dinner and found 1 restaurant which was open in the evenings. One on the entire island.

I think we drove past 1 smallish food shop & 1 fish & chips place on the way to our hotel. I didn't get the feeling they'd be open late.

Before we got on the ferry to Bruny, we stopped at a grocery store & bought everything we needed to make dinner that nite.
wallabies in the backyard Photo, Tasmania, Australia
Before this trip, I had seen kangaroos & wallabies before - but always at a nature sanctuary, not in the wild.

Right before sunset we went for a walk along the beach at Adventure Bay and on the way back to the place we were staying, we spotted a wallaby in the backyard of a house a couple doors down.

Turns out there were about 8 of them roaming around behind our place and the houses next door. Hanging out & eating the grass. Was very cool to watch them.

Bruny Island has a white wallaby too. Not albino but some white gene. I think it's the only place where this happens. There were 2 of them in the backyard.

Bruny Island Cruises

Attraction | "Fun & Informative"

Bruny Island Cruises Photo, Bruny Island, Australia
The cruise is a mix of history of the area & showing you the wild life & nature. We saw seals & lots of birds & a fleeting glimpse of dolphins.

Dress warmly as it's pretty windy. If you get sea sick easily, this might not be for you as the water can be a little rough & they can go fast. They do give you ginger before you leave to help with any potential seasickness.

I'm not a huge fan of rocks & wildlife but i thought this tour was really well done.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 11, 2010

Bruny Island Cruises
915 Adventure Bay Road
Adventure Bay Bruny Island, Australia
+61 (3) 6293 1465

Bruny Island Cheese

Restaurant | "Yummy Cheese!"

Stopped in to buy some cheese and had some lunch. Little area to sit outside & enjoy the food. Very good cheese!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 11, 2010

Bruny Island Cheese
1807 Main Road, Great Bay
Bruny Island, Australia
+61 3 6260 6353

43 Degrees

Hotel | "Eco Friendly & Relaxing"

43 Degrees Photo, Bruny Island, Australia
This isn't a b&b or a hotel but more like rental units. The location was great with the bay right in front of you. There's a little beach you can go for a walk on. Very relaxing. Inside, the place is pretty cool. It's entirely solar powered. It was pretty cold the evening we were there so I wondered if we'd be ok with the heater and lights and tv and computer all running at the same time but there was no issue at all.There's a full kitchen plus BBQ on the porch. They bring you goodies for breakfast but I also recommend going grocery shopping before you get to Bruny as there's not much around. Would definitely stay here again. Clean. Relaxing...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 11, 2010