San Francisco Journals

San Francisco for One Day

A May 2009 trip to San Francisco by ch2001

Boudin at Fishermans Wharf Photo, San Francisco, California More Photos
Quote: My sister-in-law was moving from Connecticut to San Francisco by car, and when her driving buddy canceled my partner and I went along. After driving 36 hours straight we had one day to see the sights. Read on to see what we managed to squeeze into 24 hours.

In-N-Out-Burger

Restaurant | "Gotta Order it Animal Style"

In-N-Out-Burger Photo, San Francisco, California
My brother-in-law, whose been living in San Francisco for sometime now, could not stop talking about In-N-Out Burger, so of course we had to visit. I have to say it was really good - as far as fast food restaurants go. Order your burger Animal Style and they put everything on it. Their commitment to sustainability and a local supply chain is a major draw.Here is an excerpt from their Wikipedia entry:In-N-Out Burger, usually called In-N-Out, is a regional chain of fast food restaurants located in the Western United States. Founded in 1948 by Harry Snyder and his wife Esther, and headquartered in Irvine, California, In-N-Out Burger has since expanded outside Southern Californi...Read More

In-N-Out-Burger
333 Jefferson Street
San Francisco, California 94133

Harvey's

Attraction | "Good Food in the Castro"

Harvey's Photo, San Francisco, California
We met up with some friends for lunch at Harvey's in the Castro. The lunch menu has your classic diner food - salads, wraps, panini's, and burgers. My friend and I ordered the BUILD YOUR OWN DAMN BURGER! While the other people in our party went more healthy with salads and wraps. Everyone had a good meal.

The highlight of the meal were the drinks. The martini, bloody mary, and mixed drink list is quite long, and contains very humorous names. My fried ordered the Bloody Mary Kate and Ashley - description not suitable for children.

All in all, this was a great neighborhood restaurant, and I would definitely go back. All the entrees were between $8 and $12.

Harvey's
500 Castro St
San Francisco, California 94114

Fish.

Restaurant | "Sensational Sustainable Seafood in Sausalito"

Fish. Photo, Sausalito, California
On the evening of our stay our friends drove us across the Golden Gate Bridge to the town of Sausalito. I have to say, initially I was saddened to leave San Fran, but it was worth it. Fish. is part of the sustainable seafood movement, of which I know nothing. What I do know is that my meal was wonderful. I had the Ecuadorian Tilapia over a bed of lettuce - simple ingredients with a lot of taste. My partner had the Fish. Taco Plate with Oregon Bay Shrimp - not the best meal, but still fairly tasty. The clam chowder was also good. We washed it down with a local beer - Anchor Steam. If you want quality fish cooked with high quality ingredients this is the place for you - and it's reasonably price...Read More

Fish.
350 Harbor Drive
Sausalito 94965

Boudin at Fisherman's Wharf

Restaurant | "Sourdough Bread Heaven!"

Boudin at Fisherman's Wharf Photo, San Francisco, California
The one thing I had to do in San Fran was eat sourdough bread. Of course we had to visit the premier bakery - Boudin. We visited the location in Fisherman's Wharf - as soon as you walk in the door the fishy smell of the wharf is replaced by the amazing aroma of freshly baked bread - YUM! They store has a large section of non-edible items that make great gifts. Check out the loaves shaped like animals - turtles, lobsters and other creatures. You can grab some bread, clam chowder or other goodies and eat right there in the cafe. If you can't make it to Fisherman's Wharf at least check Boudin out in the airport - not quite as fresh, but still good.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on August 27, 2009