Long Island Journals

Short Weekend in Long Island

A February 2009 trip to Long Island by oldscratch

Greenporter Hotel and Spa Photo, Greenport, New York More Photos
Quote: I'd lived for six years in New York City without venturing further east than Brooklyn, so recently the wife and I rented a car for a brief tour of the Long Island wineries.

Greenporter Hotel and Spa

Hotel | "Not Really a Design Hotel, But Not Bad Nonetheless"

Greenporter Hotel and Spa Photo, Greenport, New York
My wife and I were looking for a hotel that would allow us to park our car and walk to restaurants and bars, and the Greenporter was a good choice for this, even if we were in the middle of the off season and there were not many open restaurants or bars to be found. The Greenporter advertises itself as a design hotel and while it does a certain converted-50's-motel charm and the hotel lobby and restaurant are quite well done, the rooms are a bit bare and the decor leaves a little to be desired.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 13, 2009

Greenporter Hotel and Spa
326 Front Street
Greenport, New York 11944

Shinn Estate Vineyards

Attraction | "Great White Wines"

Shinn Estate Vineyards Photo, Mattituck, New York
There are quite a few vineyards in Long Island and while I hope to sample many of them over the coming years, on this particular trip we only saw two. So while I don't have a lot to compare Shinn Estates Vineyard to, I will say I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of the best in Long Island. There are those who go to wineries to try wine and then there are those who go to drink alcohol, and Shinn seems to cater to the former. The woman serving the wine was very friendly and took obvious pride in the wines she was serving. For the record, the whites were more interesting than the red, but I think that's the case throughout Long Island.Shinn also has a bed and breakfast that looked quite nice f...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 13, 2009