New York Journals

Foodie Tour of New York

A November 2008 trip to New York by jnetleigougo

Magnolia Bakery Photo, New York, New York More Photos
Quote: A record of all the good (or bad) tastings in the city.

Cupcake Tour

Sugar Sweet Sunshine

Restaurant | "My Favorite Red Velvet"

The red velvet cupcakes are probably the best I had while on my tour of cupcakes in the city (even better than Magnolia's). The cake is moist and the buttercream frosting is yummy. Also tied for first place for best cupcakes are the pistachios. I can never order one without the other. As far as the bakery goes, it has a cozy atmosphere similar to a college coffee shop.

Sugar Sweet Sunshine
126 Rivington Street
New York 10002
(212) 995-1960

Magnolia Bakery

Restaurant | "Mmmmm Cupcakes"

Magnolia Bakery Photo, New York, New York
My favorite cupcakes are the Red Velvet ones with buttercream icing. Another great choice is the banana pudding. The location on Bleecker always has a long line mostly of tourists. However, if you go to the location on Columbus Avenue, there is hardly a line to wait in. The place is much bigger that you can do flips in it if you so choose to. I say visiting Magnolia's is a must while visiting..or even living in..New York City.

Magnolia Bakery
401 Bleecker Street
New York, New York 10014

Places to Impress

ChikaLicious

Restaurant | "Cute Dessert Bar"

For my first encounter with ChikaLicious, they had sold out and closed early in the evening. I knew right away that I had to go back. The second time, although there was still a line, I was able to be seated. The dessert bar is small but cute area. There is a choice to sit at the counter to watch the chefs prepare the desserts or at the tables. We had ordered a prefix meal with wine pairing for an additional cost. The menu varies daily and the chefs serve the dishes to your table. I ordered almond ice cream with dried fruit risotto. It was delicious. Overall, it was a wonderful experience. It's a good place to take your date to. Then after your meal, you can go across the street to ChikaLi...Read More

ChikaLicious