Thailand Journals

Thailand 2008

An April 2008 trip to Thailand by addman

Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi Photo, Krabi, Thailand More Photos
Quote: Recapping my trip to Bangkok and Krabi in 2008. I stayed in Thailand a total of 5 days and experienced a wonderful time there.

Bangkok

I- Residence

Hotel | "2-Night Stay in the Heart of Silom"

On my trip to Bangkok I stayed in this cozy hotel called I-Residence. At the time this hotel had a 3.5 star rating and I would have to agree. What it lacked in room size and amenities was more than made up for by its courteous and friendly staff.The location is excellent as it is located right in the heart of Silom, only a half block walk from the Chong Nongsi train station. If you are into local exploring of a new city you cannot go wrong here. And if you wish to visit the more touristy locales the air train will take you there in 10-20 minutes for a cheap price.The room we stayed in came with a nice comfortable queen size bed, air conditioning (to help fight the hot Thail...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 7, 2008

I- Residence
67 Narathivas Rachanakarin Road Soi 3
Bangkok 10500
+66(2) 2679700-3

Grand Palace

Attraction | "Sightseeing in Bangkok"

We visited the Grand Palace and the experience was okay. The temples that we saw were very pretty. However, after awhile you get the sense that it's temples temples and more temples.

I guess if you have a low attention span or tolerance for cultural expanding you may find this place enjoyable for only about an hour or so.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 7, 2008

Grand Palace
Na Phra Lan Road Ko Rattanakosin District
Bangkok, Thailand 10500
+66 (2) 694 1222

We were looking to ride the water taxi one day when we ended up chartering a long tail to take us on a boat ride through the local areas of Bangkok.

The ride was great as it gave us a chance to see and explore the ways of living in the capital of Thailand. In this neighborhood (near the Grand Palace) many people live in these wooden huts raised right over a small river. Although the conditions are somewhat poor the residents are very upbeat and friendly as they often waved to tourists passing by.

Krabi

Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi

Hotel | "Beautiful Hotel"

Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi Photo, Krabi, Thailand
When we visited Krabi we stayed in this beautiful hotel that sits in an isolated part of Krabi. Unless you are willing to take a 15-minute hike through a small mountain pass, this hotel is only accessible by ferry boat, which has its goods and bads...The hotel gives you this romantic feeling that you are on a remote island of your own. The beach line is right outside your hotel and the view is absolutely magnificent. For a couple's romantic getaway this is close to perfect.The down side is that the hotel ferries only run every half to every hour, thus making your trips to the main island somewhat troublesome. The toughest part is timing your return trip to the hotel because...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 7, 2008

Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi
396-396/1 Moo 2, Ao Nang
Krabi 81000
+66 7563 7789

Elephant Riding

Story/Tip

Elephant riding Photo, Krabi, Thailand
We went elephant riding when we stayed in Krabi. The experience was great as we got to ride a 23 years old elephant through a small forest. The tour guide was very friendly and informative, teaching us about the living habits of these elephants and the history of the land.

Afterward we purchased some bananas and were able to feed and pet the elephants. They were very smart and friendly and quite eager for some treats after a long walk.