United Kingdom Journals

Three in One

A June 2006 trip to United Kingdom by wasa girl

Temple Bar Photo, United Kingdom, Europe More Photos
Quote: Not beach people, for a summer escape we took two weeks to visit London, Edinburgh and Dublin. Clearly not enough time in any city, it did spark an interest for more.

Hop On Hop Off Dublin Bus Tour

Attraction | "Hop On - Hop Off"

I am a dork - I like the city bus tours. I have done the bus tour in Dublin (twice) and the reason I like them is they are a cheap way to see the city. Even if you say you are not doing the tourist thing, you may be visiting the art museum, the parks or other places that the bus stops at. How can you complain about a ride around the city where you can get off wander around and get back on any time you want? On my second trip to Dublin I used the bus to get to go shopping at the Guinness Storehouse, then took it to Grafton Street and back to the hotel near Temple Bar.The bus visited many places that we were interested in seeing and pointed out some places that we would not have even know to...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 31, 2008

Hop On Hop Off Dublin Bus Tour
59 O'connell Street
Dublin

Elephant and Castle

Restaurant | "Perfect Mid-day Meal"

It was the end of our trip around Dublin and we were about over restaurant food, but the Elephant and Castle was perfect for a quick, tasty and reasonably priced meal. Located in the temple bar area of the city it is close to Grafton Street shopping, Trinity College and the O'connell street bridge.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on May 4, 2008

18 Temple Bar
+353 1 679 3121

Temple Bar Photo, United Kingdom, Europe
I have visited Dublin twice since 2003, the second time being in the summer of 2006. I love this city - the pubs in Temple Bar are great, Grafton Street is a lot of fun for shopping and I felt safe walking around the city. The Guinness Factory tour is a little cheesy, but the view of the city at the end is unbelievable. The fish and chips from Leo Burdock's are a great meal and the upstairs dining room at The Oliver St. John Gogarty was pretty tasty as well.

If you have some extra money to spend, The Clarence is a very nice place to stay, with an easy walk to Temple Bar.

The Roman Baths

Attraction | "Mixed Feelings"

An English friend had recommended a visit to Bath, so when we were looking to get outside of London for a day we found a tour (we were with out a rental car) that included Bath, Windsor Castle and Stonehenge it appeared to be the perfect thing to do.

Honestly I did not know what to expect, when the day began. For anyone interested in history it was very interesting. To see the architecture from the romans was incredible and there were some beautiful mosaic displays and the level of heat from the water was impressive. However it was not enough to make the trip from London worth while, if you were outside London and had a whole day to spend in Bath it would be a great addition to the day.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on June 4, 2008

The Roman Baths
Abbey Church Yard
Bath, England BA1 1LZ
+44 1225 477785

Lord Edward Pub and Restaurant

Restaurant | "Avoid"

I had seen this restaurant when I visited Dublin the first time and on the second visit gave it a try. The meal was over priced, the restaurant was hot and my mashed potatoes tasted of salt. While my scallop dish was fine, it did not live up to the price.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on May 4, 2008

Lord Edward Pub and Restaurant
23 Christchurch Place
+353 1 454 2420

Elephant and Castle

Restaurant | "Elephant and Castle (The)"

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 4, 2008