Key West Journals

A week in the Keys

A travel journal to Key West by Eric

Quote: Sitting out at at eleven PM, on a seventy foot pier extending into the gulf- 80 degrees with a light breeze blowing through the palm trees- And the swirling colors of tropical fish beneath the glass floor and illuminated depths. A regular night in the keys.

A week in the Keys

As a lover of all beaches great and small, the weeks I have spent in the Keys have taught me that a vacation on the water is about more than just sand and surf- Sitting outdoors sipping cold drinks under the sun in Islamorada, one is glad that the flat, clear blue water is undisturbed by either. These islands are just to sit on and be a part of- The keys are not as lush and foliated as places in the south pacific, but any shortage of life on the surface quickly ends where the water begins. The Joseph Pennekamp Park, a huge coral reef, may be the most biologically diverse place in the United States. Sunken near the middle of the reef is a statue of Jesus is, arms raised amidst hundreds of ye...Read More

Whale Harbor Inn

Restaurant | "The Whale Harbor Beach Resort"

It has always been my idea that local cuisine is the best way to eat when traveling- By far the best meal of my vacation was at the Whale Harbor Beach Resort, an oceanside restaurant adjacent to a marina. My friends and I had spent the day on a deep sea fishing boat and had caught a cooler full of fish. As soon as we arrived back at the dock, we took our cooler up to the restaurant and for 6.95, they cooked us our catch four different ways with vegetables and key lime pie for dessert. Even as a New Englander, I was very impressed with the seafood- It is some of the tastiest I have had.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 24, 2000

Whale Harbor Inn
Mile Marker 83.5
Islamorada, Florida 33036
+1 305 664 4959

Seven-Mile Bridge

Attraction | "The seven mile bridge"

About half way across one begins to think, 'How did they do this?' This bridge, seven full miles across, took years to complete, but is truly a triumph. The Gulf is on one side, the ocean is on the other- The bridge stretches over the horizon. Most remarkably, the night sky is clearer here than in the hills of Vermont! Looking at Orion in a tee shirt did seem bizarre to me at first I'll admit- The universe seems to hang a little lower under this southernmost sky of the US.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 24, 2000

Seven-Mile Bridge
Mile Marker 47 to Mile Marker 40
Marathon, Florida 33050
No phone available

Whenever one ordinarily thinks of the Keys, Key West specifically comes to mind. I will say that I do not consider Key West to be my favorite spot in the Keys, but I assure that it is a place which you should experience at least once. The art scene flourishes here in a place where the temperature is in stasis and the nights are long- Key West is not a wonderful family town. It is a bit on the edge for small children, but maybe that is the reason that so many adults seem to be having such a good time. Sunset cruises are quite popular abord catamarans as the sun descends over the water. Local rumors of green sunsets are prevalent, a condition which is said to occur every so often. The attitude he...Read More

About the Writer