San Francisco Journals

I left my cash in San Francisco

A July 2001 trip to San Francisco by DT

Quote: I have probably been to San Francisco about 500 times and these are some of my funner experiences.

I left my cash in San Francisco

San Francisco is one of the most interesting cities in the world. It has a world famous skyline and plenty of fantastic views. It is great place to walk around and explore all the different neighborhoods. Coit Tower and the Embarcadero should not be missed. The restaurants and food should be experienced. I am not sure what it better, the Chinese or the Italian. Try the cioppino!Quick Tips: Bring a lot of cash, next to New York, it is a very expensive city. If you fly into SFO, you will probably need to get a taxi. Bart doesn't go to SFO, yet. Renting a car isn't a great option. It is expensive to park and difficult to find spots. Also, don't ever say "Frisco", locals hate that term. Al...Read More
I got a pretty good rate for Union Square, $129 a night. It was a weekend night rate. The parking fee, however, was $35 a night. WOW! Please rate my entry, I need the points. Thanks!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 20, 2001

Hilton San Francisco Union Square
333 O'Farrell Street
San Francisco, California 94102

Maxwell

Hotel

The Maxwell is in a great location. It is right in the heart on Union Square. The hotel itself is nice and clean, but the rooms are a bit spartan. I paid $119 dollars and for a weekend night in San Francisco, that''s pretty good. It is an art deco hotel with a good deal of charm. This is the main reason I am recommending this place. I have stayed in worse hotels for more money in S.F.

Please rate my entry, I need the points. Thanks!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 17, 2001

Tadich Grill

Restaurant | "Tadish Grill"

This is the oldest restaurant in California. The place has changed owners a few times and it has moved, but I guess technically it is the oldest. The Tadish is famous for not taking reservations, so first come first served. Even the mayor has to wait. The restaurant specializes in seafood. I usually get the cioppino, it is maybe the best I have ever had. It is a very old school type restaurant with the old booths and the career type waiters. It is a place that most locals will frequent because the food is good and reasonable. Beware, the portions are large and don't fill up too much on the delicious sourdough bread. One should definitely give it a try. Please rate my entry, I need the points...Read More

Tadich Grill
240 California St
San Francisco, California 94111
+1 415 391 1849

Jardiniere

Restaurant | "Jardinere"

One of the nicest restaurants in a great restaurant city. The space is decorated like the inside of a champange flute. The food and service were top notch. The wine list was pricey but extensive. I would save this place for a special occasion. It was pretty expensive. Dinner for two with an affordable bottle of wine was $200. Please rate my entry, I need the points. Thanks!

Jardiniere
300 Grove St
San Francisco, California 94102
+1 415 861 5555

The Buena Vista Cafe

Restaurant | "Buena Vista"

This place is an institution. The Buena Vista invented the Irish Coffee and they are very good here. The restaurant is at the end of the cable car line and it has many great views of the bay from its windows. The seating is family style and the nice thing is you will probably end up sitting next to somebody who is from out of town. The last time I was there I sat next to a Norweigan couple. Please rate my entry, I need the points. Thanks!

The Buena Vista Cafe
2765 Hyde Street
San Francisco, California 94109

Pier 39

I would be surprised if you were to find any locals here. This is as touristy as Waikiki Beach. I try to avoid this entire area. The restaurants here are also very cookie cutter. Please rate my entry, I need the points. Thanks!

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on July 17, 2001

Pier 39
Beach Street & The Embarcadero
San Francisco, California 94133
(415) 981 7437

The Palace of Fine Arts is a beautiful park in the Marina district that has a peaceful pond and tall Roman columns all around the area. It is a great place to walk around and the Exploratorium is also there. The Exploratorium has many interesting science exhibits. It's great for kids. The Palace is one block away from the bay, so catching some great Golden Gate views is no problem. Please rate my entry, I need the points. Thanks!

Cable Cars

Story/Tip

The Cable Car is the enternal symbol of San Francisco. They are full of tourists, but they do actually serve a good purpose. The cable car line will take you up to Fisherman's Wharf. Conveniently, the cable car drops you off across from the Buena Vista. It starts at Powell and Market and there is usually a large line. The secret is to go up a few blocks to a cable car stop and then hop on. The conductor will get your money eventually. Please rate my entry, I need the points. Thanks!

Boudin's Sourdough

Story/Tip

Fisherman's Wharf is full of tourist traps, but this one I actually like. I love sourdough and this is where it all began. The sourdough is great and the chowder in the sourdough loaf is a great inexpensive lunch. Please rate my entry, I need the points. Thanks!

Alcatraz

Story/Tip

Alcatraz is a very interesting place to go. I was thinking that it would be a tourist trap and it was, but it was very educational. You must first make reservations through the Golden Gate Park Services. It is very important to do this. The tour is sold out days in advance and weeks in advance for weekends. The boat ride across the bay to Alcatraz is very scenic. Looking back at San Francisco is quite nice. The skyline is always great. The island walk up to the prison is fairly short and the tour is self-guided. When you make reservations, definitely get the audio tour. You will receive a voucher for a tape recorder with a audio tour. Very interesting. I was surprised that I had that much fun on ...Read More

Marin Headlands

Story/Tip

The Marin Headlands are right across the Golden Gate. So you will get to go on the bridge. Once at the Headlands there are many hiking trails. The views are of the Golden Gate and the skyline are spectacular. The trails are mild and there is a nice park right on the beach there. A nice, inexpensive place to take a family.

SFMOMA

Story/Tip

SFMOMA is one of the better modern art museums I have seen. If you in to modern art, you should try to get here. It is right next to the Yuerba Beuna Gardens, you can't miss the building.

Top of the Mark

Story/Tip

At the Mark Hopkins Hotel there is a famous bar with some of the best views in S.F. Before men went to war they would go here to have a last drink. On the way out of the bay by boat, it would be the last place they would see as they went off to war. If they made it back alive, that would be the first place they would go to have a drink. It is very old school. Get a martini and enjoy the view. It's a beautiful hotel to visit anyway. Please rate my entry, I need the points. Thanks!