Santa Barbara Journals

Santa Barbara

An August 2007 trip to Santa Barbara by SDMOM

Quote: Food, sightseeing, touring.

Kronborg Inn

Hotel | "Best Wester Kronborg Inn"

This is one of the cleanest hotels/motels I have been in for quite some time. The staff were friendly and helpful, and it didn't cost a fortune. I will definitely stay there again.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on August 25, 2007

Kronborg Inn
1440 Mission Dr
Solvang, California 93463
805-688-2383

We ate here for lunch, which was very good, but a little pricey in my opinion. The crab cakes were excellent, the fish taco was good, but the coconut shrimp were way overcooked. But...we ate outside on the pier, had a nice glass of wine and the service was fantastic.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 25, 2007

Santa Barbara Shellfish Company
230 Stearns Wharf

Fish House

Restaurant | "The Fish House"

This was the best seafood I have had in a long time. It was fresh, perfectly prepared, and plenty of it. We ate there for lunch and had the fish and chips. My fish was juicy and flaky, cooked perfectly. My daughter had the halibut which was also cooked to perfection. Service was good, but had a bit of a wait for the check, which was OK , because I was too full to move!

Fish House
101 E. Cabrillo Blvd.
Santa Barbara, California

If you are anywhere near Solvang, you HAVE to eat these pancakes! They are that good. There will be a wait, but it is so worth it. They are only open for breakfast, I think they are closed by noon or 2pm, so get there as early as you can, but get there!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on August 25, 2007

Paula's Pancake House
1531 Mission Drive
Solvang, California 93463

As long as you stay on board and do not get off at any of the stops, this is a great tour. I have been on many other cities trolley tours and this one is by far the most irresponsible one to date that I have encountered. The driver was knowledgeable and kind, however, after getting off at the courthouse to go inside and see the beautiful architecture it has to offer, there was supposed to be another trolley by at 12:20 so we could hop back on and continue our tour. After waiting close to 1/2 an hour, we walked about three blocks and picked up the shuttle bus that runs up and down the main road for a quarter. The worst part was, that we were only a little put out, that was until I spoke wit...Read More

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on August 25, 2007

Santa Barbara Trolley Tours
23 East Cabrillo Blvd.
Santa Barbara, California 93101

This should be a must-see! My mom, my teenage daughter and I spent a couple of hours (could see it in less) and it was amazing. I cannot believe there was such little info posted on the Internet about this gem. Even our shuttle bus driver hadn't heard of it. There were dolls from all era's, depicting different cultures, artists, and medium. At the end of the tour there is a tea room with a teddy bear picnic mural painted on the walls. The curator was very informative and answered all our questions, but was respectful and allowed us to sort of just roam around. This was a highlight for us in Santa Barbara.

Susan Quinlan Doll and Teddy Bear Museum
Post Office Box 3218
Santa Barbara, California 93130

Amazing park filled with turtles in the pond. There were supposed to be koi also, but they had perished due to a bacteria or something in the water. The turtles, however, were thriving and there was so much fun to sit and watch in this beautiful park. The flowers and trees were all labeled and there were recordings explaining what each botanical item is. Great to take a nice iced tea or coffee to and meander through the park.

Alice Keck Memorial Park and Gardens