Jackson Journals

Jackson Hole Anniversary Trip

An August 2007 trip to Jackson by wunderkinder

Townhome master bedroom Photo, Driggs, Idaho More Photos
Quote: My wife and I went to the Jackson Hole area to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.

Jackson Hole Anniversary Trip

Lewis & Clark River Expeditions Photo, Jackson, Wyoming
Driggs boasts a fairly new large and elegant grocery store. The deli offers Boar's Head meats and cheeses. They have a sushi bar where they make the rolls while you watch. They also offer a fairly large selection of natural and organic products. The store is much bigger than Driggs' 1100 inhabitants would ever need, so they must be catering to a wider geographic area than just the town.The lack of restaurants in Driggs is the biggest downfall of the town. We found a great breakfast spot right on the main road, but they closed for the weekend for some reason. After that, we found no other restaurants in town worth chancing.Quick Tips: Get a local restaurant guide when you get to town. ...Read More

Private Townhome

Story/Tip

Townhome master bedroom Photo, Driggs, Idaho
We used www.vrbo.com to find a townhome in Driggs, ID. We chose Driggs because of its close proximity to both Jackson (45 minutes) and Targhee (<15 minutes). By staying in Driggs, we were able to avoid the two things that make Jackson unattractive: large crowds and high hotel prices.

We were blown away by how deluxe the townhome was. The place was brand new and loaded with extras: stainless steel appliances, convection oven, granite counters, tile floor, two fireplaces, big screen TV, propane grill, leather furniture, and (most importantly) peace and quiet.

Snake River Grill

Restaurant | "Snake River Grille"

The Snake River Grille had stellar food.My expectations were somewhat low for the caprese pizza appetizer. I think my exact words were: "Pizza appetizer, how original!" Boy, was I wrong. The explosion of flavors from the combination of a few simple ingredients was both a surprise and a delight. Fresh tomatoes, sweet basil, fresh mozza, and a few spices were all that topped the thin, wood-fired crust, but I have been having dreams about the pizza ever since then.The Caesar salad was as flavorful as you would expect a made-from-scratch Caesar dressing to be. Let me put it this way - if you've ever had a Caesar salad anywhere that the dressing is premixed, you have not had a real Caesar s...Read More

Snake River Grill
On the Town Square
Jackson Hole, Wyoming 83001

Warbird's Cafe

Restaurant | "Warbird Cafe"

We tried eating at the Warbird Cafe, a modern-looking restaurant right on the edge of the little local airport. The staff in the place move at a single speed - painfully slow. Before this place, I had never in my life walked out of a restaurant due to a lack of service. They simply ignored us - before we were seated, for 23 minutes after we were seated, etc. I can't say they were rude (aside from the whole ignoring us part). We finally left out of exasperation and disgust. Skip this place for sure, unless you enjoy the feeling of frustration that comes with lackluster staff, limited menu options, and slooooow/nonexistent service.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on August 13, 2007

Warbird's Cafe
Driggs-Reed Memorial Airport
Driggs, Idaho

Lewis & Clark River Expeditions

Attraction | "Lewis & Clark Expeditions"

Lewis & Clark River Expeditions Photo, Jackson, Wyoming
I had never done any whitewater rafting before this trip. We actually went on two trips with this company - a scenic trip and a whitewater trip. While enjoyable, I probably would not do the scenic trip again. After three hours of sitting in a raft (only the guide gets to paddle), you start to long for a chance to sit on something softer than the hard rubber raft.On the other hand, the whitewater trip was a blast. We traveled through 8 miles of the incredibly beautiful Snake River. We encountered Class II and Class III rapids, which were plenty exciting for my first time on the river. I also think I saw more wildlife on the whitewater trip than I did on the scenic trip. Oddly enough, I enjoyed ...Read More

Lewis & Clark River Expeditions
335 North Cache
Jackson, Wyoming 83001

Targhee Resort

View from Targhee Photo, Jackson Hole, Wyoming
We liked Targhee because the views were stellar, the people were friendly, and there were way fewer crowds than on the other side of the mountain. We took the chair lift to the top of the mountain, where they have an observation deck that offers stunning panoramas of the valley and the Tetons.

I found out too late that they will let you take a bike up the mountain on the lift and then you can ride the 2.5 mile path to the bottom. I really want to try that next time.

Targhee Resort