Venice Journals

Trip to Venice

A July 2007 trip to Venice by blyons45

Quote: The trip was great. I definitely recommend going to Venice while in Italy, it is expensive but there is nowhere else in the world like it!

Gorizia A La Vagilia

Hotel | "Hotel Gorizia"

We enjoyed this place. It is set in the most convenient location in San Marco, right by the Piazza San Marco and a few minutes walk to the Grande Canal. The hotel room was nice, and very clean. We read a review online saying that the rooms were small, but we just ordered a triple sized room, still moderately priced and enjoyed our largest room in Italy.

I would recommend this place if you are looking to try to save money but stay somewhere nice in the middle of all the action. The only thing bad I would say was the Internet does not work, which was kind of annoying.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 7, 2007

Gorizia A La Vagilia
San Marco calle de Fabri 4696 A
Venice, Italy 30124
+39 (04) 15223737

This place was a complete tourist trap! The owner kept trying to up sell us with items not on the menu. My wife and I made the mistake of ordering the recommended asparagus and then the mushroom dish. When we got the bill they charged 23 euros for a plate of asparagus and 29 euros for a plate of under cooked mushrooms. The plate of mushrooms was a complete scam because it was like 4-5 undercooked mushrooms covered in oil and it was nearly as expensive as our main dishes. The setting is nice but don't fall for this over priced place. Keep looking! I also ordered a fillet at this place for 39 euros, when it came out it was covered in gravy and pepper. Our meal totaled 185 euros here and was defi...Read More

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on July 7, 2007

Ristorante Al Colombo
4619 San Marco
Venice, Italy
+39 (041) 422-2627

Osteria San Marco

This place was spectacular. My wife and I each had our best meal of the trip at this place. The service was great, the setting was romantic, it was tucked into a side street and had very interesting artwork all along the walls. We had a blue cheese salad here that was one of the best salads I have ever had. It had nuts, mixed greens, and a hint of mint leaves every few bites.

I would rate this place a must if you go to Venice. Our meal with a bottle of wine was 125 euros. We thought this was very reasonable for the level of dining.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on July 7, 2007