Cabo San Lucas Journals

5 Free Days in Cabo San Lucas

A June 2007 trip to Cabo San Lucas by eddyjrsf

Finisterra Club & Resort Photo, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico More Photos
Quote: The city has a lot to offer in such a small space but be ready to pay for it.

5 Free Days in Cabo San Lucas

As a gay man, one of the highlights was finding two gay bars where no one asked my female friend and I if we were on our honeymoon!

Be prepared to pay regular American prices for drinks and food. Also, it would be helpful if you had some knowledge of the Mexican peso and the exchange rate.

We walked everywhere but taxis are pretty affordable and fast

Finisterra Club & Resort

Hotel | "Finisterra Club & Resort"

Finisterra Club & Resort Photo, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Great location in Cabo, walking distance to EVERYWHERE. The service was great, the room was simple, but clean, and all rooms have a balcony with an ocean view. The amenities are on the moderate side but I wouldn't actually call it a "resort". It's more of a very nice hotel. The best is their palapita and pool. They have three pools, with the middle one by the bar, and lots of lounge chairs, as well as chairs to lounge down at the beach, which is unswimmable. Their Whale Watcher bar was nice but not as impressive as I was told it would be. I think the biggest plus is the location, we walked everywhere from our hotel.

Finisterra Club & Resort
23401 Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
52-114-333-33

Mi Casa Restaurant & Cantina

Restaurant | "Mi Casa"

We did not have a reservation for a Friday night but we did use the honeymoon angle and they lead us right in. The place is huge, the service prompt and polite. The food was good, not bad but definitely not great. I had the mole, decent, and my friend had the catch of the day in a red chili sauce, it was divine. Unfortunately, you could taste the oil/lard in the handmade tortillas and the ceviche was a bit warm, which made me nervous.

Mi Casa Restaurant & Cantina
Ave Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 23410
+52 114 3 1933

Crazy Lobster

The guacamole had a little too many tomatoes in it but had a good taste. We ordered the fish and lobster tacos. The fish tacos were great, with a hefty portion of fish and some veggies. My friend got the lobster and she said they were very good. If you're used to having the condiments to make your own tacos, you'll need to ask; limes, salsa, cilantro, etc. They will bring to you if you ask.

Crazy Lobster
Hidalgo St.
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 23410
+52 (143) 6535

The Office

The Office Photo, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
The food was good and the drinks really strong. It was a casual and fun atmosphere. The tables are in the sand and I was so impressed with the waiters carrying the trays and trudging up and down the sand to serve! The place is a tad over priced but with all the Americans there, they know they'll pay. I would also call it Americanized Mexican food, very simple and light fare. My friend had the table made Caesar salad and I had the chicken tacos. The refried beans was a fashionable strip, the rice was a formed cup and then a pepper laid on top. A bit too food network presentation for me but the taste was good.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on June 12, 2007

The Office
Playa El Médano
Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos, México

Gay Bars

Los Jarros Photo, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Los Jarros is on Hidalgo street, right off the main strip. It looks like a garage from the outside, until you hear the pounding music. We went two nights, once during the week and it was quiet but we had fun dancing and speaking to some locals. The next was on Saturday night and it was packed and they had a fearsome drag show. Viva La Mariconas!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on June 12, 2007

Hangover

Gay Bar 2 Photo, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Fun bar, next to the strip clubs, on the second floor, in a shopping mall, go figure! It was pretty mellow when we went and we didn't stay long. It was a nice and clean place and this one was very well lit.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on June 12, 2007