Edinburgh Journals

Short Visit to Friendly Edinburgh

A May 2007 trip to Edinburgh by ColinD

Quote: Short stay in Edinburgh for couple.

Short Visit to Friendly Edinburgh

My wife and I went on a short weekend trip to Edinburgh (my first visit to Scotland I'm ashamed to admit) on the May Bank holiday weekend.Highlights:* Holyrood Park - great natural setting for walks up to Arthur's castle, a really good city park to rival any other - similar to King's Park in Perth in terms of what it is supposed to be * Castle - just great - really informative - great varied history and well maintained* National Gallery and gardens - free access, great café and garden below Prince Street* Pubs - visit any in the Old Town, in Grassmarket for a real Edinburgh experienceQuick Tips: Bring walking shoes and a light raincoat - it is Scotland after all and Ed...Read More

Holyrood Hotel

Hotel | "Macdonald Holyrood Hotel"

This hotel is a 4-star hotel, no question, but in the moderate price range because of the offers available online.I had the most impeccable service I have ever had in the UK - from reception through concierge through leisure facility - all could not do more to make our trip better.It has a nice leisure centre - good gym which was well stocked with recent machinery and was never too busy, and the pool/sauna/steam room area was nice too.Rooms are good if not exceptional. All the amenities you'd want are there. However, they are not particularly big and our room had a tendency towards being stuffy. A small disappointment among excellence.This hotel is locate...Read More

Holyrood Hotel
81 Holyrood Road
Edinburgh, Scotland EH8 8AU
+44 (131) 5504500

David Bann

It's a lovely vegetarian restaurant for dinner or brunch. It has a great chilled vibe - friendly service and good space between tables make for a relaxed meal.

It has excellent food - really good asparagus risotto and crepe provencale, plus lovely warm bread on arrival.

There's a good wine list and it is reasonably priced - has one of the large glasses on offer - a Rioja - good!

I'd probably pick the Stac Polly down the road but it's a close call (I'm still a carnivore most of the time so hence I'll be swayed by the choice there).

David Bann
56-58 St Marys Street
Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 1SX

Stac Polly

We took the advice of the concierge in our hotel to visit the nearby Stac Polly and we were very impressed. It has an excellent cuisine - the crab meat starter and lemon cheesecake dessert were two of the best dishes that we have tasted in restaurants for quite some time. The service was attentive without being overbearing. We will definitely return on our next visit.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 9, 2007

Stac Polly
8-10 Grindlay Street
Edinburgh, Scotland EH3 9AS
+44 131 229 5405

Barioja

It is a tapas-style bar in the Old Town - very relaxed place with great Spanish staff - good tapas plates and excellent Cava!

It has a nice seating area up and downstairs - the perfect place to stop into after spending the day walking up and down the hills of Edinburgh.

Barioja