Pune Journals

PUNE INDIA

A November 2005 trip to Pune by Kathy

Yes this is India Photo, More Photos
Quote: Pune, India, is called "The Oxford the the East" because of the number of colleges and education institutions located here.

PUNE INDIA

This was actually on the road from the Ajunta Caves to Pune Photo,
Pune India. This is a fast-growing industrial city. Pune has a pleasant climate and its a four-hour train ride or less than a one-hour plane ride. There are a number of airlines that fly between the two cities and the rates are very low.I found the contrast of the growing industrial and computer technology and the fact that there are oxen eating out of the dumpsters kind of amazing.Quick Tips: I found that getting a good small map was very important. We had friends that lived here, so they drove us around. Trust me, I would never think of driving here it is just crazy.Taking a taxi is easy and cheap so I would advise that as the way to get around.Best Way To Get Around...Read More
Hotel Srimaan Photo, Pune, India
There are fancy and more expensive hotels in Pune but we found Hotel Srimaan couldn't have been nicer. Their rate was about US$46 for a double room including breakfast. The rooms were large and it was quiet.
The location was near food; there was a nice shopping mall across the street for snacks and drinks, and the breakfast was local Indian cuisine.

This hotel has just 30 rooms and the staff was always around for any assistance that we may have needed.

There was an Italian Restaurant on the premises which we heard was very good, but I didn't go to India to eat Italian food.

Website www.littleitaly-india.com

Hotel Srimaan
361/5A Bund Garden Rd.
+91(020) 26122369

Saranji

Yes this is India Photo,
I liked the decor in here and the food was really excellent. It's amazing how inexpensive India is, especially for someone like me who tends go to Europe. Four of us ate appetizers, entrees, and beers and the cost was about 800 rupees. (about $20.00)

Coconut Grove

Coconut Grove Photo, Pune, India
We ate here our first night.
I still have the receipt. Four of us ate and the cost was 1710.00 rupees, about US$42. This also included bottled water, which is very reasonable for restaurants, but this is India.
We started off with beer.
Appetizers were prawns, fried wontons, and nanbread.
Entrees included butter fish, fish curry, and pomfret gassi (Fish).
We had dessert of mango ice creme.
The service is very good. I found they love westerners as we tend to tip well. Some of the places we retured to were all over us when they saw us coming back.

Coconut Grove
408/B Mangalwar Peth
26053981 395086

Shaniwar Wada

Shaniwar Wada Photo, Pune, India
Looking at the ruins of this palace, you can see that, at one time, it was spectacular, but time and neglect have taken its toll.
Built in 1736, the palace of the Peshwa rulers burnt down in 1828, but the walls still remain.

There is an unkempt garden inside the walls.
We came by at night was it was suppose to be lit up but it wasn't, so the pictures that we took didn't turn out.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 25, 2007

Shaniwar Wada

Either OR

Lastr minute shopping Photo, Pune, India
This was my favorite shop in Pune. They had lots and lots of shirts for 430.00 Rupees ($10.00), simple cotton pants, tote bags, and jewelry for amazing prices. There is no haggling here, as in most retail shops, but the prices are so good you wouldn't want to bother wasting time since iti is time you would want to be shopping.

I am going back to Pune this year and "Either Or" will be my first stop.

Either OR
24/25 Sohrab Hall

Aga Khan Place

Attraction | "Aga Khan Palace"

Aga Khan Place Photo, Pune, India
The Aga Khan palace is where they held Gandhi and some other Indian leaders in 1942 as part of the India independence movement.The palace was built in 1892 and was the Aga Khan’s palace until 1956, when it was turned into a school, but now its in disrepair.If you rent the movie “Gandhi”, with Ben Kingsley, you will recognize this palace as they did some filming here.The gardens still looked like someone was keeping them up.Some of Gandhi’s and his wife’s ashes are here in the garden .There are a number of photos and also some of his personal belongings like sandals and a thermos. The futon bed he lied on while being held for two years is also in the same room that he...Read More

Aga Khan Place
Yerwada

Fabindia

Fabindia Photo, Pune, India
This is an upscale clothing store. They also have branches in other Indian cities.
Besides wonderful clothing, they also have jewelry, and I got some great jewel boxes for souvenirs that US$3, and they are very nice. I also go some typical elephant carvings for some of my nieces and nephews.
Since it's hot in India, I found a nice pair of cotton drawstring pants for less than $10. Since they are so light, they will take up no room in my suitcase.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 25, 2007