Bruges Journals

Bruges, or Brugge?

A July 1997 trip to Bruges by ms_dj

Bruges Main Square Photo, Bruges, Belgium More Photos
Quote: Bruges (or Brugge, in Flemish), in the north of Belgium, is a beautiful old city, full of secrets and surprises.

Bruges, or Brugge?

The Streets of Brugge Photo, Bruges, Belgium
Beer-lovers will enjoy tasting the huge variety of Belgian beers in the many cafes. Chocolate lovers...will think they've died & gone to heaven when they taste delectable Belgian chocolate. Interested in crafts? Visit the lace-makers and watch a centuries-old technique in action. Bruges has some beautiful old buildings, best viewed at night, when they are illuminated.Quick Tips: Get a feel for this beautiful old city from an open-air canal boat. The tours last about an hour, and take you through much of the city's canal system. For more information about this beautiful old city, ...Read More

Bob's Bar

My friend Hendrik took my brother and I out for a night on the town in Bruges. One of our stops was at Bob's Bar.

The bartender/owner, Bob, was friendly, and outgoing. When he learned that my brother and I were visiting from Canada, he immediately gave me his business card, asking me to send a postcard when I returned home.

Unlike other bars and cafes we'd been to, this one specialized, not in beer, but in cocktails. Bob had created some of the funkiest cocktails we'd ever tasted. Some of his concoctions were alcohol-free, but most were of the alcoholic variety.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 9, 2001

Bob's Bar
Simon Stevinplein nr 10
Bruges, Belgium
050-34.04.40

Canal Boat Tours

Attraction | "Bruges Canal Cruise"

Canal Boat Tours Photo, Bruges, Belgium
A tour through the canals of Bruges takes you through a major part of the city. You'll see the picturesque buildings from a different (lower!) point-of-view, and be able to take many pictures. The tours are narrated in several languages (English, Dutch/Flemish, & French at a minimum) and in addition to telling tourists what they are seeing, give some historical background and/or anecdotes about particular buildings or events.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 20, 2001