Palm Beach Journals

Palm Beach for Dummies

A February 1998 trip to Palm Beach by naomi

Quote: Mention "Palm Beach" and you're likely to get snob vibes. But surprise! Palm Beach is not just for the monied set anymore.

Palm Beach for Dummies

Culture, arts entertainment, a music scene and increasingly eclectic restaurants are turning this destination site into a popular retreat for Everyman.

Every Thursday night (in West Palm) on Clematis Street regulars and tourists offers a cool outdoor concert series and plenty of libations for fun and friendly 'tudes.

If you go in the summer (which is NOT recommended--it's south Florida, remember) you have to go by taxi or you'll die of heat exhaustion. Or if you're brave, get dropped off Worth Avenue to browse some real fancy-schmancy stores. Think Rodeo Drive. With the attitude.

Breakers Palm Beach

Hotel | "The Breakers"

How can you describe heaven? Okay, this is a slight exaggeration, but not much of one. I came here right after battling pneumonia and couldn't have dreamed up a more gorgeous setting to recover my health and peace of mind. My suite had two views of the ocean and I didn't even mind looking at some of the renovations going on below because that just meant the next visit would be even better. There's something about the sound of waves crashing that has always appealed to my spirit (sorry if I sound like Oprah) and I think hearing the sound of the surf coupled with the gull cries helped me get through the post-medical crisis. (That's when you start thinking about how important health is, how vulnerable yo...Read More

Breakers Palm Beach
One South County Rd.

Flagler's Steakhouse

For meat aficionados this is the place to be. Huge portions, USDA Prime Grade selections, all result in a delicious meal. If you're like me, someone who hates to cook but loves to eat, this is an ideal 'compromise,' because you'll be fussed over like crazy and won't have to clean up! Plus, there's plenty of fish available if you're a veggie.

Flagler's Steakhouse
Breakers / 1 S County Rd
1-888-THE BREAKERS

Spa at the Breakers

Attraction | "The Spa at the Breakers"

I'm no dummy--I stayed on premises most of the time, because it was too darn hot to do anything else! So I decided to explore the spa, in order to enlighten my readers as to what was available. Not for me, oh no! I did it for you, dear reader, and though it was a sacrifice, I would gladly undergo a massage again if only to bring you insight into the experience. (Yes, of course I'm being goofy.)

Spa at the Breakers
One South County Road

FYI

Story/Tip

Palm Beach has had a reputation of exclusivity, and a history of being not-so-nice to minorities, including people of color and those of the Jewish persuasion. Fortunately, times have changed and the town has come to its senses, although it still is a magnet for the wealthy. There has been a concerted effort in the past few years, to attract more baby boomers with less disposable income than in years past. This is a promising trend that can only improve the outsider's perspective and generate good will.