Cancun Journals

Cancun and Cozumel: Land of the Mayans

An October 2005 trip to Cancun by ParadiseSeeker

Quote: This is mainly about a trip that I took with an ex-girlfriend of mine. I didn't go to party (right!), but was really interested in the Mayan civilization.

Hotel | "Mayan Palace"

This was supposed to be the "high-end" resort, and it was expensive. But compared to what I'm used to in the States, it was okay. In Mexico, I was supposed to be impressed, but to me it was just nice.The resort is fairly new and the grounds and area were amazing. I was excited knowing that the ground that I was walking on was where the ancient Mayan culture once existed. If you looked outside of the the resort, it was dense jungle and we were situated on a private beach.The guards at the gate were a tad bothersome, though. Not because they bothered us, but just because it is a little disconcerting knowing that armed guards are needed to keep people from possibly being kidnapped. The resort ...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on February 9, 2007

Km 48 carretera Federal Cancún
Cancun, Mexico 77710
1 800 292 9446

Mayan Palace Riviera Maya

Attraction | "Mayan Palace Golf"

I didn't get a chance to play golf, but did have a look-see at the course, and it appeared to be fine. The greens and fairways were well kept, and I didn't see a lot of people playing. It seemed that you could get a tee time right quick. The course was a bit flat and the hazards didn't appear too menacing, so if you're a real good golfer, you might not like this course. For lousy duffers like myself, it would be just fine.

I didn't see a lot of shade, though, and there was a clubhouse with a bar that appeared to not have a lot of people waiting for drinks. Plus, the course is easily accessible from the rooms.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on February 9, 2007

Km 48 Carretera Federal Cancun Playa Del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Mexico
01 800 543 7044

Xel-Ha Aquatic Park

Attraction | "Xel-Ha"

Pronounced "Shell-ha," this is a great place to go with the family. You take a bus and pay for the entrance fee. This includes entrance, rental of snorkel, fins, mask, towel, locker, and all the food and drinks (yes, alcoholic too) that you can take.We spent the whole day snorkeling in the bay, walking the iguana-laden trails, and just going down the waterway on a raft. IT WAS FUN. When we got hungry, we stopped at one of the many eating places and just ordered food without having to worry about the bill or having money (which is great when you're in swim trunks). If I felt like a beer or a drink, I just went into one of the waterside bars.I saw loads of fish and took my photo in a cave that...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on February 10, 2007

Xel-Ha Aquatic Park
Km 240 Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juárez local 1 y 2 módulo B
Tulum, Quintana Roo, Mexico
+52 (998) 883-3293

Tulum Mayan Ruins

Attraction | "Tulum"

What a place! This is an ancient Mayan fort where they used to control the waterways on the Yucatan Peninsula. This is a treasure of Mayan artifacts, and I recommend that everyone go see this. We had to make a choice to either go north to visit Chichen-Itza or south to visit Tulum and Coba. We decided to go south.

If you've seen the move "Against All Odds," Tulum is the place where Jeff Bridges finds Rachel Ward. You can't go in the buildings anymore, but it really is fascinating, and you can really feel the Mayan culture here. I recommend that you take kids and adults—it's a great way to see what we learn in history and feel like a part of it. Oh, and take lots of water, as it is humid.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on February 10, 2007

Tulum Mayan Ruins

Tulum, Mexico

Coba Mayan Ruins

Attraction | "Pyramid Tour"

Amazing. This is the other way from Chichen-Itza, and I was told by the person I was with that Chichen-Itza appeared bigger, but then I was the only one who climbed to the top of the Coba Pyramid! It was breathtaking. I was surrounded by dense forest all around. We walked through the ruins where the Mayans worked, played, and lived. It was a spectacular tour, and you still pass by a Mayan village inhabited with Mayan people.Anyway, you pass through their stores, and if you think stuff is going to be cheap, think again. I really wanted to buy something, but it seemed overpriced to me.The roads getting here are tough, so be ready for a bumpy ride. We did it in an air-conditioned van.Bri...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 10, 2007