Port St. Joe Journals

The Forgotten Coast

A July 2006 trip to Port St. Joe by JennGAPeach

Catch of the day Photo, Port St. Joe, Florida More Photos
Quote: It's hard to find an unspoiled beach in Florida, but on Cape San Blas and nearby Port St. Joe, you find the perfect getaway.

The Forgotten Coast

Catch of the day Photo, Port St. Joe, Florida
The Forgotten Coast is one of the last unspoiled coastlines in Florida. Situated on the Gulf Coast, between Apalachicola and Panama City, Port St. Joe is a sleepy Southern beach town with the perfect paradise of Cape San Blas nearby. The last ten miles of the Cape (as the locals call it) is designated a state park with no development. When I took my first boat ride out to the tip of the Cape, I could've sworn I was in the Bahamas. The water was clear and the beach was perfect - no footprints or sand castles. I wouldn't recommend a visit for those who want hot nightlife, but if you want a trip to paradise without the cost of a flight, the Cape is the place. A bonus - very few cell phones work out there...Read More
Talk about fresh! This local open air restaurant is right on the St. Joe Bay and next to the Marina and serves the freshest seafood in the area. And by fresh, I mean we ate the fish that we caught (and by we, I mean my friend's husband and dad) that day. They cleaned and prepared the Spanish mackerel three different ways - we had 12 people and there was still left overs!

For those that don't want to catch their own dinner, they serve fresh oysters and shrimp year around and scallops when they're in season. If you want fresh seafood in an ultra casual atmosphere, this is the place. And, during the summer, they usually have an acoustic guitar player sitting on the dock of the bay.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on June 27, 2007