Lahaina Journals

West Coast Maui

A July 2006 trip to Lahaina by cptdrinian

Travel Photo by IgoUgo memberMore Photos
Quote: Just some thoughts on a few of the places my wife and I experienced while on Maui.

West Coast Maui

The best thing to do is enjoy the beautiful beaches and clear waters. Not to mention the picturesque landscapes.

The Papakea Resort offered a book of discount coupons which can save you quite a bit.

This topic is pretty much driven by where you are. If in downtown Lahaina then walking is the best. If you're in any of the outlying areas then rental car is best, but cabs are plentiful as well.

Aston at Papakea Resort

Hotel | "ResortQuest at Papakea"

Aston at Papakea Resort Photo, Maui, Hawaii
My wife and I just concluded 7 days at the Papakea in Maui. I had read numerous reviews prior to our trip and found my results mixed; about 50:50. After spending my trip here I have to say that I can be counted among the positive 50%.Our condo was very clean and all of the appliances were in perfect working order. The grounds are picture perfect and very well groomed. The housekeeping staff took very good care of our room and addressed each of our requests immediately.The only downside (if you can actually consider it one) is it is much windier in Honokowai. Even though the resort is listed as being in Lahaina, Lahaina is actually 6 miles from Papakea. But all-in-all it is a wonderful ...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on December 1, 2006

Aston at Papakea Resort
Lahaina
Maui, Hawaii

Lahaina Coolers

My wife and I spent the morning here for breakfast after my step-son's wedding. The place is completely open and we sat on the outdoor patio which is very comfortable. The rumbled eggs are the best and couple that with one of their Bloody Mary's and you'll have a combo that just can't miss.

If there are two of you, order a fruit plate too so you can sample the fresh pineapple, bananas, and strawberries before your meal. Also, if you fancy hot sauces, be sure to grab a bottle of their custom blend to bring home to your breakfast table. Mahalo!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on December 1, 2006

Lahaina Coolers
180 Dickenson Street
Lahaina, Hawaii 96761

My wife and I had the opportunity to enjoy a meal here in beautiful Lahaina. The food is very good and the view of the ocean and coastline from the upstairs dining area is wonderful during sunset. Combine that with the entertainment and everything just clicked. The only thing is that the tables are placed very close to one another making it difficult to get through the place. In any event, this is a must see if in Maui. Mahalo!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on December 6, 2006

Cheeseburger in Paradise
811 Front Street
Lahaina, Hawaii 96761

Blu

Editor's Note: This property has closed.

This restaurant had quite the eclectic menu with many different choices. I ended up trying the Chef's Salad on top of which is a fired egg. It was quite the presentation and added a whole new flavor to the salad. It was a winner. Drinks were prepared well also and our server was very attentive. Tables are right at the waters edge which makes the dining experience more attractive.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on December 7, 2006

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa

Attraction | "Hyatt Regency Luau"

Luau Dancers Photo, Maui, Hawaii
There are a lot of luaus that you can attend while on Maui, but this one was great! The Hyatt built an outdoor stage for their show with plentiful seating and good views of the performance no matter where you land. The event is very organized with six serving lines so the entire crowd is able to serve themselves from the buffet in short order. Servers are quick to get drinks out to patrons which are included with the price of admission (yes... that includes Mai Tai's). The show is spectacular with the hula dancers and fire dancer. It made for a great evening and definitely worth the price paid.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on December 6, 2006