Dublin Journals

My Second Trip to Ireland

A November 2006 trip to Dublin by MalervyC

Quote: This was my second trip to Ireland. We stayed in Dublin most of the time but had the opportunity to see many different parts of the country. We did some tours and ventured up to Northern Ireland.

Days Inn Dublin Talbot Street

Hotel | "Days Inn Talbot Street"

We booked our airfare and hotel on Travelocity and got a great rate. The Days Inn on Talbot Street was very clean, contrary to some of the things I read on Trip Advisor and other sites. Let's be frank... it's a 2 star hotel, it's in the middle of town, and it's cheap... you get what you pay for. The room was small, but the bed was comfy and big enough for two people to sleep very comfortably. Our window looked out over Talbot Street which is a very busy street in Dublin. I read that it was noisy and that people couldn't sleep, but I didn't find it to be that bad. At night, it was normal hustle and bustle, sounds of cars. I grew up in the city of Philadelphia, so it was nothing new to me. M...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 22, 2006

Days Inn Dublin Talbot Street
95-98 Talbot St.
+353 (1) 8749202

O'Shea's Bar

Restaurant | "O'Sheas"

O'Shea is a pub on the corner of Talbot Street about 4 blocks from O'Connell Street and the Spire. I had the Traditional Irish Stew, which was very, very good. Wait staff for foreign, Swedish I think... so I couldn't understand the broken English. I recommend eating here for a quick bite to eat. It's a bar atmosphere.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on November 22, 2006

O'Shea's Bar
19 Talbot Street
353 (0)1 836 5670

The Celt

This place is really a bar. There is some bar food, but it's mostly a drinking facility. We had a great time at the Celt meeting the locals, one in particular for me who was from County Clare... whoa! It's a comfortable setting, relaxing to have a few drinks. This guy kept telling us he owned the bar, but we really don't think he did. There's a smoking area (it's a secret!) next door. Smoking is prohibited in Dublin...so unless you want to break the law, smoke outside.

The Celt
81 Talbot Street
01 8788655

Guinness Storehouse

Attraction | "Guinness Storehouse & Brewery"

This was my second trip to the Brewery. We went on a Sunday around 10:30am and it wasn't crowded at all. The factory is shaped like a giant pint glass, with each floor getting you closer to the top. You learn the major ingredients used in making Guinness, the history of the company and about the accomplishments and deeds that the Guinness family did throughout their lives. Arthur Guinness' (or Uncle Artie) wife gave birth to 21 children... insane! At the top you get a free complimentary pint in the Sky Bar while overlooking the beautiful views of Dublin. This is a must on anyone's list if you are visiting Dublin. Cheers!

Guinness Storehouse
St James's Gate Dublin 8
01 408 4800

Hop On Hop Off Dublin Bus Tour

Attraction | "Dublin Bus Tour"

The tour costs about €15 and is totally worth it if you plan on seeing all of Dublin. It's a hop on/hop off bus tour and stops at every major attraction in the city. There are bilingual and guided tours available as well.

Hop On Hop Off Dublin Bus Tour
59 O'connell Street

Old Jameson Distillery

Attraction | "Jameson Distillery Tour"

I didn't get to visit the Distillery the first time I was in Dublin, so I definitely wanted to see it this time around. It's about €13. You have a tour guide the entire time. First step is seeing a video about Jameson, the man, his family, and the company he started. After the video you are walked through several different rooms that coincide with the distilling process. Last step is always the best... taste test! Everyone gets a sample of Jameson (I took mine with some cranberry juice...delish!). Four lucky people get the opportunity to taste test not only Jameson, but also other whiskeys from around the world and of course choose their favorite. This was a fun tour, laid back... time well spent...Read More

Old Jameson Distillery
Bow Street Smithfield Village
+353 (1) 807 2355

The Spire

The Spire was built a few years back. The general consensus in Dublin is that it's a high cost eye sore. To me, it's an oversize needle in the middle of town. It's pretty at night because it lights up... but other than that there is nothing special about it.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on November 22, 2006

The Spire
Downtown

Cliffs of Moher

We took a day trip to the Cliffs of Moher. It costs €100 and it's totally worth it. 650 feet straight up out of the Atlantic... just breathtaking. We went in November, which is off-season for Ireland. So there was some construction going on - they are building a welcome center and a gift shop and improving the stairs and pathways for you to view the cliffs, which is nice, but a little distracting. One other thing... do not steer off the path! The day before our trip, a 35 year old Polish woman walked off the pathway and went to look over the edge and a huge gust of wind blew of her off... she fell to her death. So please, be careful, especially with children. Just follow directions and you will be OK....Read More

Cliffs of Moher
Southwestern Edge of the Burren Region
County Clare, Ireland

Tie-Rack

Attraction | "The Tie Rack"

I bought two beautiful scarves here, one for €11 and one for €25. It sounds a bit steep, but they are really nice. It's the perfect gift for a mom, sister, sister-in-law, or aunt. They are good quality and come in a great selection of colors.

Tie-Rack
Ground Floor
+353 1 478 1928

Galway Bay

We booked a €100 tour of Galway Bay, the Burren, and the Cliffs of Moher. The tour takes you on a 20 mile drive around Galway Bay which is quite amazing. The Aran Islands are out in the middle of the Atlantic, you can see them very nicely on a clear day. The Burren is an area of land where you think a beach should be, but instead it's a bunch of hard stones and fossils running for about 2 miles. We got great pictures on this tour and I would definitely go on it again. We stopped in Doolin for a bite to eat and a bit of shopping.

County Galway

We took a train from Dublin to Belfast, and then a flight from Belfast International to London. It was nice to see the northern part of Ireland, especially after you hear all the stories about its history, all the violence. It's actually a beautifully rich landscape, lots of farm life. The city reminded me a bit of home, nothing like Dublin. Belfast has skyscrapers, a sight not often seen in Dublin. The people were very courteous. Only issue - currency exchange! We had to switch our Euros over to Irish Pounds, then again to English Pounds in London. It was a 2 hour train ride, and I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't afraid to visit a truly beautiful part of Ireland with a bad past.